"Green" energy vs Native Americans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Green" energy vs Native Americans

in an effort to boost the renewable engery profile of the US, the Goverment is pushing and shoving solar energy projects through the system faster and faster with little regard to other considerations.

it seems some of the "prime" sites for solar energy are near or on top of historical/sacred Indian sites

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/27/na...olar-projects/

one tribal leader said this

"They seem to want to do it at the price of destroying our history," said Arrow-weed. "It's an assault. They've already wiped out a lot of things and now they want to wipe out the desert and any evidence of our past."
    and this quote

Dave Singleton with the California Native American Heritage Commission, which advises local, state and federal agencies on issues involving indigenous communities, said he's heard from at least 10 tribes in the Colorado River area concerned about various renewable projects. The problem is in part cultural: while a site may not be registered as historic, some tribal leaders say they know it's sacred because of oral history accounts.

"The tribes are saying you've consulted us, we've identified sites and you're saying it doesn't matter," Singleton said. "There's a rising anger that they're being treated with disrespect."
    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

When the Cape Wind project was being debated, it was claimed the area was an 'undersea' sacred site...nobody making this claim could elaborate further.
    "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

Hard one, if they are not registered historical sites just jumping in and going "Oh that's sacred!" all of a sudden is somewhat dubious. Doing it for every single area they try to build something loses you credibility pretty quick. I'm sure there are some genuine instances where this is happening, but if you complain about everything the real problem sites are going to get lost in the shuffle.

Doesn't help if one of these sites is, as the article says, only 50 years old and apparently made from concrete. >.>

Comment

Working...
      X