Lawmaker says women should plan ahead in case of rape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawmaker says women should plan ahead in case of rape

After all he carries a spare tire, its same thing.

http://www.care2.com/causes/womens-r...-a-spare-tire/

Gotta love Kansas. I've often said that the Topeka/Lawrence/Kansas City part of Kansas should form a separate state to get away from all the West Kansas conservative loonies.

Comment

You know, I could follow that logic.... IF health insurance were normally split up like that, where you had to guess at what problems you might have and buy separate coverage for every possibility. But (last I checked) it doesn't. So why should this be treated differently?
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
        You know, I could follow that logic.... IF health insurance were normally split up like that, where you had to guess at what problems you might have and buy separate coverage for every possibility. But (last I checked) it doesn't. So why should this be treated differently?
        Exactly, this is health insurance, not car insurance.

Let's say he gets raped so hard his butthole is literally ripped and needs stitches. I guess he should have to pay the entire thing out of pocket since he doesn't have rape insurance.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Worst part is, this bill passed by a wide margin.

http://www.mcphersonsentinel.com/new...rtion-coverage

If the bill becomes law as expected, starting in July, individuals and employers who want abortion coverage would have to buy supplemental policies that cover only abortion. ...

The legislation also says that no state or federally administered health-insurance exchange in Kansas established under last year's federal health care overhaul law can offer coverage for abortions, other than to save a woman's life.
          So a woman who becomes pregnant via rape or incest has to pay for an abortion out of her own pocket, IF she can afford it. That's horrifying.

Originally posted by House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lance Kinzer
          I would view this as an important conscience protection for Kansas business owners.
          "Conscience protection"? What an asshat. Kinzer has no conscience to protect.

"There's clearly a message here that women are dispensable," said state Rep. Annie Kuether, a Topeka Democrat and one of the Legislature's shrinking number of abortion rights supporters. "I'm sick and tired of being treated like a second-class citizen."
          Yay for at least one reasonable person in Kansas' Legislature!

ETA: This law amounts to forcing women to pay an extra fee simply for being female. No man will ever need an abortion, and thus no man will ever have to pay for an extra rider on his insurance to pay for an emergency abortion. Way to promote equal rights, Kansas.
          Last edited by Ghel; 05-27-2011, 12:28 PM.
          "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

So, I suppose then that insurance companies can then turn around and put quantifiers on their coverage, such as "refusing to pay if she was dressed like she wanted it."

Much in the same way car insurance won't pay if you were found to be drunk.

I suppose if you want to get the women in your society into the burqa, this would make for a great start.

You know what's sad? That I am no longer stunned to understand just how many people across the globe truly, in their heart of hearts, despise women.

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
              You know what's sad? That I am no longer stunned to understand just how many people across the globe truly, in their heart of hearts, despise women.
              Agreed. Sadder still, the women-haters are not all men.

Back on topic, that article...yet another rich white right-wing male who Just Doesn't Get It. I hope this gets him voted out of office next election.

Looks like there's a protest in the works. Too bad they're toy car-sized spare tires. A big heaping pile of actual automobile spare tires outside his headquarters would send a bigger message.
              Last edited by XCashier; 05-27-2011, 03:28 PM.
              People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
              If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

I thought most republicans who are loud in the media wanted to ban abortion altogether? Paying insurance so it can be afforded is ... an odd position to take in that instance.

In the meantime, I hate him. Lots.

Rapscallion
                Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Excuse me if I ramble. I'm so pissed off I can't form ordered thoughts.

Insurance is meant to protect you from things that you expect to happen to you eventually. Drive (or ride in a vehicle) long enough, and you're likely to be involved in an accident. Live any length of time and you'll likely have need of a medical procedure. But we shouldn't have to expect (whether the statistics support it or not) that at some point during our lives, we'll be raped. That's not something that you should have to "plan ahead for" (as DeGraaf says) by starting a "rainy day" fund or having extra insurance.

This law seems to be a subtle form of discrimination. (I mean, besides the obvious gender discrimination.) Those upper- or middle-income women who need an abortion are more likely to be able to afford one (or afford the insurance) than lower-income women. Additionally, women who are part of dual-income households (that is, married women) are more likely to be able to afford the procedure. So this legislation is another way of keeping poor people poor and perpetuating the division between the "haves" and the "have-nots."
                  "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

Originally posted by Ghel View Post
                    This law seems to be a subtle form of discrimination. (I mean, besides the obvious gender discrimination.) Those upper- or middle-income women who need an abortion are more likely to be able to afford one (or afford the insurance) than lower-income women. Additionally, women who are part of dual-income households (that is, married women) are more likely to be able to afford the procedure. So this legislation is another way of keeping poor people poor and perpetuating the division between the "haves" and the "have-nots."
                    I wouldn't call it subtle. Although I could see it passing under the radar of the less educated. Which is really a shame since it's the poor and the ignorant that will be most affected by fucktardery such as this.

But then, I've come to expect American medicine to be a century behind when it comes to women's health, and for the most part, it has yet to surprise me.

Although, as a possible light, there is a good chance that this law can be obliterated due to it being inherently and massively misogynistic. I'm certainly keeping my fingers crossed that it gets killed with much prejudice by people with their heads kept somewhere other than their asses.

^-.-^
                    Last edited by Andara Bledin; 05-27-2011, 06:19 PM.
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

This is disgusting, to say the least! I am appalled.

Abortion insurance is in no way related to having a spare tire in your vehicle or paying for life insurance...AT ALL.

Sharp objects make their way onto roads and parking lots all the time (I had to get a tire fixed after I chose the wrong parking spot that happened to have a huge screw sitting in it that decided to lodge itself in my tire), so it's not too much to assume that eventually one will need to change a tire after running over something. Tires also wear out and lose air due to use and deterioration.

Everyone dies, and accidents can occur, so having life insurance makes sense because one just never knows.

But neither of those instances is a crime. Rape is! So basically, a woman has to pay more just in case she's a victim of a criminal act? Bullshit! A more accurate comparison would be if a home owner had to specifically purchase burglary insurance, y'know, just in case they get robbed. No other insurance would cover lost personal property as a result of a burglary. In both instances, a person would have to pay more just in case they are victimized. Fucking ridiculous

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                        So, I suppose then that insurance companies can then turn around and put quantifiers on their coverage, such as "refusing to pay if she was dressed like she wanted it."
                        I shouldn't laugh, because it's a very serious subject. But I chuckled a bit at this.

The whole thing is so appalling it seems laughable to any reasonable person.

Comment

Yeah, I get you. I mean, it IS funny, because it's so over the top. And we both know there's plenty of people out there that think like this.

The truly scary thing is that insurance companies make money by finding reasons not to pay. Your house insurance goes down if you're near a fire hydrant or have a security system installed. Your car insurance won't pay if you were drunk. Your life insurance won't pay if you die in a crash with an unbuckled seatbelt.

So you JUST KNOW that the next logical step is trying to discern if a woman was "at fault" for being raped.

Comment

DrFaroohk's thoughts:

To play devil's advocate, preparedness in itself isn't something one should sneeze at, whether it's for a flat tire or rape. You can practice good driving habits, and you can practice good safety habits. It's just common sense. But this guy sounds more like he's saying "it's gonna happen and it's your fault", not "Be prepared."

Also, if they're gonna be serious with this thing, they need to add a bunch of different policies. One for stab wounds, one for gunshots, a seperate policy for each if it was during a gang war....etc....

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
                              Also, if they're gonna be serious with this thing, they need to add a bunch of different policies. One for stab wounds, one for gunshots, a seperate policy for each if it was during a gang war....etc....
                              during a stampeed of wild zebras, a racoon, 2 girraffees and a baby elephant passing through your house ON the 4th of July at EXACTLY 12:01pm in which you receive a black eye...

from a Daffy Duck/Porky Pig cartoon called "Fool Coverage"
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcMFsgA9iPo
                              I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                              The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Working...
                              X