Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois Dream Act

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news...m-act-20110530

Illegal immigrants are getting MORE handed to them? There should be only one thing handed to them: an ultimatum. Either become a legal citizen or leave.

I'm tired of seeing more and more handouts being given to illegal immigrants than to legal citizens of this country.

You know, I don't really care if those kids have a chance to further themselves, but why the hell is it that natural citizens whose parents have been here for a few generations.

We don't need a special law for this. They should end up in the same pool as the rest of the scholarship hopefuls and not get different treatment unless they, specifically, are not legal residents, in which case, as daleduke17 said, they get the ultimatum.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Tell me again why illegals are getting more benefits than the *legal* citizens of this country? If they're here illegally, they should either get their green cards, or be deported. Instead, they get *rewarded* with *our* tax dollars. What the fuck?

Comment

Maryland is/has done/planning on doing the same thing. And Mr. Rum doesn't understand why I don't want to move to Maryland.

I really don't understand this.

My brain is broken. Please someone put it back together for me.
        Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

I could see it for legal immigrants, but illegal immigrants, no. Though if the kids were born here technically they are American citizens, and the kids have to have SS#'s or tax ID#s to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Akasa View Post
            Though if the kids were born here technically they are American citizens,
            Which is another bullshit loophole as well. That would also classify them as eligible for the Presidency, wouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
              Tell me again why illegals are getting more benefits than the *legal* citizens of this country?
              what exactly are they getting here, other than the opportunity to have access to a particular scholarship (which they'd still have to compete for) and the opportunity to join a pool in which they save their *own* (gasp! shock!) money for college? legal citizens have access to thousands of scholarships that illegals don't. and this act doesn't even apply solely to illegals. it's for legal immigrants as well, but it's more fun to overlook that, i guess.

If they're here illegally, they should either get their green cards, or be deported. Instead, they get *rewarded* with *our* tax dollars. What the fuck?

did you even read the article? allow me to quote (bolding mine):

The children of immigrants, both legal and illegal, would be able to obtain private college scholarships and enroll in Illinois state savings programs under legislation approved Monday.
              what part of "our tax dollars" goes into private scholarships?

as for that, if you're concerned about your tax dollars being used for such purposes, then own your greed and say so, but kindly leave me and those like me out of it with this "our" bullshit. i'm all for programs like this. i'd much rather my tax dollars go toward helping someone regardless of their immigration status become a better more productive citizen of the world than have them go toward killing innocents on the other side of the planet. or anywhere for that matter.

also, if you think illegals don't pay taxes, you're sadly deluded. do all of them? no, not income taxes at least (though i'd be willing to bet they all pay sales taxes of some sort). but then again, how many legal citizens of this country do everything in their power to duck out of paying taxes or fulfilling other civic obligations?

Originally posted by Akasa View Post
              Though if the kids were born here technically they are American citizens, and the kids have to have SS#'s or tax ID#s to get it.
              what of those who weren't born here, but were brought over as small children, and this is the only home they've ever known? are you advocating that we punish the children for the sins of their parents?
              Last edited by linguist; 06-01-2011, 02:34 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag

Comment

Originally posted by linguist View Post
                what of those who weren't born here, but were brought over as small children, and this is the only home they've ever known? are you advocating that we punish the children for the sins of their parents?
                No but we don't have to reward them for it.

Seriously, there are more minority scholarships out there than there is for guys like me. I wasn't Italian or Irish or female or black or illegal immigarant so I couldn't apply to the majority of scholarships. So basically I couldn't get a scholarship just because white males have been privledged in history. Even though my family couldn't pay bills and I had to actually earn my way through everything, even though I worked and paid taxes, a lot of people who don't deserve it somehow? I have to disagree.

Woohoo, so if they get actual paychecks they get taxes deducted. So explain to me how that affects the tons of workers who get paid under the table and don't have to pay taxes at all as a result? It's not like that's a rarity either.

Then we have colleges who want to give illegal immigrants in-state tuition which is another load of crap. Maybe I should have claimed I lived with family in Pittsburgh so I could have ripped off PA/my school just like them.
                Last edited by Greenday; 06-04-2011, 04:13 AM.
                Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                  Seriously, there are more minority scholarships out there than there is for guys like me. I wasn't Italian or Irish or female or black or illegal immigarant so I couldn't apply to the majority of scholarships. So basically I couldn't get a scholarship just because white males have been privledged in history. Even though my family couldn't pay bills and I had to actually earn my way through everything, even though I worked and paid taxes, a lot of people who don't deserve it somehow? I have to disagree.
                  oh yes, the plight of the white male "woe is me, i'm white and male, and there's nothing for me!"

i'm a white male and while i have had to take a few student loans out, i've almost entirely paid my way through school on scholarships and grants. i haven't even had to look that hard for them. so there goes that theory.

Woohoo, so if they get actual paychecks they get taxes deducted. So explain to me how that affects the tons of workers who get paid under the table and don't have to pay taxes at all as a result? It's not like that's a rarity either.
                  the ones that get paid under the table don't pay income taxes. i said as much if you'd bothered to read my post. but they do pay sales taxes, property taxes, excise taxes, etc. etc. etc. and the ones that do have income taxes deducted from their paychecks are paying more into the system than the average american, since they aren't getting their refunds for overpayment and they aren't eligible to draw social security.

Then we have colleges who want to give immigrants in-state tuition which is another load of crap. Maybe I should have claimed I lived with family in Pittsburgh so I could have ripped off PA/my school just like them.
                  that's an argument that has nothing to do with the one at hand, but personally i find the whole in-state/out-of-state tuition system to be a load of crap.

Comment

oh yes, the plight of the white male "woe is me, i'm white and male, and there's nothing for me!"

i'm a white male and while i have had to take a few student loans out, i've almost entirely paid my way through school on scholarships and grants. i haven't even had to look that hard for them. so there goes that theory.
                    Well good for you. Maybe you came from an area where there the being a white male of German-Russian heritage makes you unique so no one pays attention to you. I applied for every scholarship possible for me. But that was a very small list. About half the scholarships were for women. About 1/4 were for Italians. The rest were split between sports scholarships (a.k.a. football and field hockey players because no one cares about the other sports), minorities, and the Irish kids. There was one music scholarship but that went to the kid who actually was going to college for music.

So yes, the world of political correctness trying to make up past errors DOES discriminate against me.

but they do pay sales taxes, property taxes, excise taxes, etc. etc. etc. and the ones that do have income taxes deducted from their paychecks are paying more into the system than the average american, since they aren't getting their refunds for overpayment and they aren't eligible to draw social security.
                    Sales taxes? Vacationers pay sales tax but that doesn't mean they deserve any benefits.

All I ask is that when people to move to a country, they do it legally. Not smuggle themselves in.
                    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by daleduke17 View Post
                      Which is another bullshit loophole as well. That would also classify them as eligible for the Presidency, wouldn't it?
                      What are you saying? You don't want a natural-born American citizen to have the opportunity to run for President -- because of who their parents are?

Americans like to say that anyone can become successful in their country, but that's not true. They're still judged by things they can't control, like who gave birth to them.

That's how a so-called republic ended up with an aristocracy, and they're running the whole show.

Comment

So the friend of mine who had to decide between feeding herself and going to school, because she had no support from her parents is mistaken, and should know better? But she's got the wrong color skin, and had the mistake of not getting support from her family like the state tells her she's getting...The fact she's been living on her own since 16 is another illusion she's under, dispite the fact the state had a hand in that...

the ones that get paid under the table don't pay income taxes. i said as much if you'd bothered to read my post. but they do pay sales taxes, property taxes, excise taxes, etc. etc. etc. and the ones that do have income taxes deducted from their paychecks are paying more into the system than the average american, since they aren't getting their refunds for overpayment and they aren't eligible to draw social security..
                        My friend works, so pays the same taxes, but would not get this benifit...I guess the fact she's on food stamps should offset her being able to go to college, since she was unlucky enough to have been born to her 'legal' parents.
                        Happiness is too rare in this world to actually lose it because someone wishes it upon you. -Flyndaran

Comment

You know what, I'm not male, but white males get fucked because the country is so busy pandering to people who, for the most part, aren't facing the issues that used to be a big issue.

My brother was living out of his car and couldn't get food stamps, but while he's fighting over that, some guy drives up in a Mercedes, gets handed a was of cash and white guys are supposed to be ok with that because some point a couple hundred years ago, they would have had it better.

Fuck that!

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Evandril View Post
                            So the friend of mine who had to decide between feeding herself and going to school, because she had no support from her parents is mistaken, and should know better? But she's got the wrong color skin, and had the mistake of not getting support from her family like the state tells her she's getting...The fact she's been living on her own since 16 is another illusion she's under, dispite the fact the state had a hand in that...
                            and your point is...what, precisely? and when did i say that anyone should "know better?" all i'm saying is the help is out there for those willing to take the time to look for it, and make the necessary sacrifices.

i've been on my own since i was 17, and my first two years of college i went to school on scholarships, grants, and student loans while working 2 jobs to pay my rent and feed myself. my day was basically school, work, home to bed, wash, rinse, repeat. was it hard? absolutely. i never said it was going to be easy. but it can be done. it's a sacrifice i'm willing to make as an investment in my future. those unwilling to make the necessary sacrifices or do the necessary work have no place to complain that it can't be done.

seriously, it takes all of 15 minutes to fill out the fafsa, which then gives you access to federally guaranteed student loans, and if your friend is truly as bad off as you say, she'd almost certainly qualify for the pell grant, plus whatever need-based grants or scholarships are available at her school of choice. 15 minutes is all it takes.

My friend works, so pays the same taxes, but would not get this benifit...I guess the fact she's on food stamps should offset her being able to go to college, since she was unlucky enough to have been born to her 'legal' parents.
                            if she lived in illinois, she'd have access to the same college savings pool that the bill is giving immigrants access to (and once again i feel the need to point out that this applies to legal immigrants as well, since everyone's worked themselves into such a tizzy over this that they seem to conveniently overlook that part). the only thing she wouldn't have access to is this one scholarship, but she would still have access to thousands of other scholarships, as well as federal student aid, that the immigrants targeted in the bill don't have access to.

Comment

A few posts up there, someone mentioned that illegal immigrants don't pay taxes. That's not entirely true. There are quite a few that do pay taxes and in fact, the IRS has set it up so that you can get a Taxpayer Identification Number to do so. Many illegal immigrants look at paying taxes as a back door way to become a legal immigrant. Also, if they draw a paycheck they end up paying taxes through witholding.

Comment

Working...
                              X