Is Civil Unrest "Imminent"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Civil Unrest "Imminent"?

Democratic strategist, James Carville, has said if things with the economy/unemployment don't improve, civil unrest will be happening soon

Do you actually believe this?

I was listening to The Chris Plante show on one of the local AM radio stations. He was playing Mr. Carville's statements because last week, he had had a caller who called in (from suburban Virginia) who said he and his wife were getting guns (2 - 1 for him & 1 for her), stock piling ammunition, stock piling other things, but it was the guns/ammunition this guy was worried about because of what is happening in Washington and the rest of the country. The very next day, another guy called in saying caller #1 was crazy, he didn't need to stockpile ammunition/guns because there will be no riots or anything else.

However, now here is James Carville, a Democrat, saying that if the change Obama claimed would come our way if we elected him President doesn't show up soon, there will be civil unrest.

It was also mentioned that people in DC don't understand what is going on in the suburbs of DC or any other place in the U.S. as there are always government jobs around here so unemployment isn't that bad in the DC Metro area.

So, is civil unrest due to the flailing economy and the unemployment a likely scenario?
    Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

I wouldn't expect it... but it does make me glad to live on the outskirts of nowhere, so to speak. We have a pretty simple system: if you don't like what the government is doing, elect someone else.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by IDrinkaRum View Post
      So, is civil unrest due to the flailing economy and the unemployment a likely scenario?
      1) No, I do not believe civil unrest to be likely. Isolated riots and violent protests? Yes. But total civil unrest? No.
      2) If there are people who do attempt to engage in rioting, they'll be put down so fast their heads will spin. It isn't 1776; Billy Bob and his shotgun cannot stand up to a round of CNDM canisters.

Comment

Originally posted by IDrinkaRum View Post
        It depends on your definition of "civil unrest".

I would consider civil unrest to be like the massive uprisings we're seeing in the Middle East right now. In which case, no. It's not going to happen in the US.

The US, despite it's economic problems, is simply too rich for civil unrest in that scale. Your average Joe don't take arms against their government unless they have nothing to lose.

Comment

First off, the while the economy isn't moving much at the moment, it's up from where it had been at the end of last year. If there was going to be civil unrest, it would have happened before or near the bottom of the slump, and it didn't. At this point, so long as people don't panic (and nobody drives them to panic >_> ), there shouldn't be a problem.

Second, as mentioned, people who have something left to lose don't become violent out of nowhere. The economy, of itself, is not enough to push people to that point. If it were to happen, there would be other factors at work.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

No, we aren't due for any revolutions any time soon. People don't give a crap enough to go through with it. And the down economy is not seriously affecting enough people for a revolution. The economy isn't really even close to the Great Depression and we managed not to go crazy and overthrow our government then.
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

While Obama is the number one gun salesman in America, I really doubt there will be a massive civil unrest. However, I acquire guns and ammo because shooting is a hobby of mine. I love the people who buy guns because the world is gonna end, and don't have the slightest fucking idea how to load one let allow shoot with any form of accuracy.

Now if they try and ban firearms, you will have massive turmoil, but as unemployment stands right now, I don't see massive riots forming anytime soon.

Comment

Meh, I expect crime to rise, but not general civil unrest. It'd take more than this shitty economy for that.

Now, if welfare continues to be cut? Maybe. Not many would fight if they and theirs were still fed and clothed.

Comment

There was a 'great depression' about 80-90 years back in the US. Didn't generate a civil war or similar from what I've heard.

Rapscallion
                  Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                  Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
                    There was a 'great depression' about 80-90 years back in the US. Didn't generate a civil war or similar from what I've heard.

Rapscallion
                    In fact, the Great Depression gave way to the boom of the middle class being awesome. So while this might suck right now, it can be even better later.
                    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Although, wasn't one of the main things that got us out of the Great Depression back then our entrance into WWII? Which then helped advance the middle class? Still wasn't civil unrest, though.

Comment

I don't know, personally I'm terrified of the potential Twitter/Facebook outcry that will doubtless be the cornerstone of this civil unrest.
                        The Internet Is One Big Glass House

Comment

Originally posted by NateSean View Post
                          I don't know, personally I'm terrified of the potential Twitter/Facebook outcry that will doubtless be the cornerstone of this civil unrest.
                          Why? It only makes sense that people would use the easiest forms of mass comunication to conduct something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by NateSean View Post
                            The Cronulla riots were formed via text message.

It started out as something simple, but then turned into an outright mob courtesy of texts.

And just reading the Wiki article, I knew that the riots were mainly focusing on middle-eastern appearance, but they wound up burning down a Pacific Uniting Church

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
                              And just reading the Wiki article, I knew that the riots were mainly focusing on middle-eastern appearance, but they wound up burning down a Pacific Uniting Church
                              That's like the G20 idiots we had here in Pittsburgh last year. These assholes were claiming that they were protesting large corporations and rich countries. Yet, most of the victims from the disturbances...were family-owned restaurants, businesses, and franchises. Entities...that had *nothing* to do with G20, yet were targeted simply because they were there

Somewhat-more-on-topic, were the 1968 riots here. These started in many cities after MLK was murdered. Ours lasted from 4/5 to 4/12...and didn't really accomplish much. Politically, that is. What really happened, is that the riots-- which centered around the Hill District, which was (and is) a black neighborhood--basically ruined what had once been thriving neighborhoods....turning them into ghost towns overnight. The jazz clubs, restaurants, and other businesses (both white- *and* black-owned) were burnt to the ground. During the riots, what few white people who lived in the Hill, were targeted simply because of their skin color. People, who fled the area, and took their dollars with them. Even now, 43 years on, the area still hasn't recovered, and probably never will.

Comment

Working...
                              X