Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suppose they gave an election and nobody came?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suppose they gave an election and nobody came?

Today was primary election day here in Joisey. I went to the polling place (this time they put it in the community room of the old age home) and exercised my Constitutional right and responsibility.

The polls were open since early in the morning. I was there at 3:45 PM, and the serial number on my voting tag was 5.

Yup. I was the fifth person from my ward to go cast my ballot, nine hours after the polls opened.

Now it's true that the election is totally meaningless if you're registered as a Democrat, because there is only one candidate for each position, so you basically either vote for the guy on the ballot, or you do a write-in. Surrogate, vote for one, one candidate listed. Assembly, vote for two, two candidates listed. Board of Frozen Cheeseholders Chosen Freeholders, vote for 2, two candidates listed. Etc. If it weren't for the statutory requirement for a write-in candidate, they could have skipped the whole damn thing altogether and saved themselves a bundle of money.

Even so, more people should have showed up. Simply because they can. Ask any immigrant from an autocratic country who has gained citizenship here, and you'll find that they never miss an election.

And I'm told that in Australia it's actually illegal to fail to show up to vote.

(So why am I registered Dem when my political leanings are more GOP? Simple: I grew up in New York City, where the results of the municipal elections are essentially determined in the Democratic primaries. Until Giuliani, no Republican candidate ever had a chance at any office, and there was never more than one GOP candidate running in any given election anyway, so there never were Republican primaries. You wanted to vote, you registered Democrat, and that was it.)

I'd show up to vote, regardless. It wouldn't take a lot of work for cross-registered shills to screw with things if the honest Dems didn't ensure there were enough votes for the actual candidates.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I don't know... I've missed minor, off-season elections many times simply from not knowing they were being held until too late, or hearing about it and then forgetting, though those were always much like the one you describe where it didn't matter. There *was* one November election I deliberately didn't vote in, but that was because I'd gotten sick and depressed of the news and deliberately hadn't been following it for a year and a half. So I decided I wasn't informed enough to vote responsibly. (There *was* one thing on the ballot I was quite well-informed enough on: the anti-marriage amendment. I'd have gone for that (or, rather, against that) if nothing else, but it wasn't even remotely close anyway.)
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Shalom View Post

And I'm told that in Australia it's actually illegal to fail to show up to vote.

Yup, there's a monetary fine involved if you don't go and vote.
        I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
        Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
          I think the fine is what, $50?

And basically with THAT law, you're only required to turn up and get your name checked off. You are NOT required to vote, only to rock up. Basically you can rock up, get your name checked off, get given the ballots, write on there "Mike Rann sucks donkeys balls!" drop them in and you don't get fined. Your vote may not COUNT but you don't get fined.

You can do an absentee vote or a postal vote as well. Absentee vote is where you attend the polling booth prior to election day OR you attend a polling booth in another district. Postal vote is as it sounds. I've only ever had to do an absentee vote once because I was away from my local district. Boyfriend and I went to the early voting booth, both of us gave the excuse that we were going to be working on the weekend (I was, he wasn't), we voted, done.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
            That all? Can you pay in advance?

Rapscallion
            Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
            Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
              That all? Can you pay in advance?

Rapscallion
              Like I said, you're only required to turn up, you only get fined if you don't turn up. You can rock up, get your name checked off, get the ballot papers, write "Mike Rann sucks donkey dicks" on the green ballot (lower house) and "Trevor Grace needs to have his testicles aborted" on the white ballot (upper house), drop them in, and you wouldn't get fined.

Comment

I hate politicians. They are self serving societal parasites. The one that don't seem so bad are simply the ones slick enough to cover themselves.

The idea that I have to pretend to not know that in order to fulfill some civic "duty" is laughable.

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                  I hate politicians. They are self serving societal parasites. The one that don't seem so bad are simply the ones slick enough to cover themselves.
                  I really find the idea that every politician is a 'self-serving societal parasite' to be a crank idea that needs to be done away with. We need specific people that are able to determine public policy and decision making. The fact is that most people who are not specifically trained in either law or political science or political administration DON'T have the qualifications to engage in politics. Politics requires shedding ideals, which do not work in the give and take of realpolitik structure. Politics requires deciding who needs to take the hit and be shafted in order for things to continue. Politics requires deciding who in the world needs to die so that your nation (like the USA) can continue to survive and thrive. Politics and government (and a monopoly of force) is the glue that allows us to have civilization.

I would rather have these professional 'self-serving societal parasites' running things rather than have the alternatives, which are:
                  A) having idealists run everything (see Soviet Communism, Nazism, Theocracies)
                  B) or anarchy (Y HALLO THAR SOMALIA!).

Comment

Originally posted by FArchivist View Post
                    Politics requires shedding ideals, which do not work in the give and take of realpolitik structure. Politics requires deciding who needs to take the hit and be shafted in order for things to continue. Politics requires deciding who in the world needs to die so that your nation (like the USA) can continue to survive and thrive. Politics and government (and a monopoly of force) is the glue that allows us to have civilization.
                    Unfortunately some of those "hits" affect the wider community.

Example: currently in my state they are building a new hospital. OK, that's a good thing right? More jobs, better equpment, bigger, better and updated right?

Not really. In order to fund this, they had to strip funding away from OTHER health services, primarily resulting in the closure of a few country hospitals which makes it harder for people in those areas to actually GET medical treatment. In addition, they are quite content to fund a stadium upgrade that won't benefit the wider community, which has resulted in funding being stripped away from education as well. And it's usually in programs that were actually beneficial. Mental health hospitals were closed to provide for some of this funding as well as providing land for a FILM SCHOOL. Recently, they also announced the closure of the Eating Disorder ward over in the local hospital.

A new stadium will not benefit the wider community.
                    A new hospital MIGHT benefit the wider community, but it doesn't benefit those who live out in the country who god forbid, actually help PROVIDE the food we eat.
                    A film school does not benefit the wider community AT ALL.

Oh and they're quite content to give themselves massive payrises, ignoring the cost of living and claiming that they "do it tough themselves", yet fail to do anything to help the public.

Not sure who they're really serving there....

Comment

Thank you.

Everytime I hear some elected thief standing up and saying "we all need to tighten our belts and make do with less" on my Dad's tv, I have to leave the damn room. Because that doesn't mean them. It means you and me. We have to tighen our belts and make do with less because they sure as fuck have no plans to.

Comment

Our current shitsack of a governor has that same attitude. He's slashing and burning the budget (eliminated our Arts Commission, closing down mental hospitals, etc). But, somehow, he found money for a new state logo () and to prop up a regional airport in Wichita, of all places. But that's the joy of being a liberal in a mostly conservative state; all the folks out in western KS think that Brownback's the best thing since the Creationist museum.

Comment

If more people were less apathetic about the voting process, we could get some of these shits out of office.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

And replace them with what? More of the same? Dog turd, cat turd, cow turd, they all stink.

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                              And replace them with what? More of the same? Dog turd, cat turd, cow turd, they all stink.
                              Get away from the D and R, get some third parties in and some of the stink will disappear.

Comment

Working...
                              X