State's Attorney prosecute citizens who video cops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State's Attorney prosecute citizens who video cops

why does this not surprise me (as I lived in the Chicago area for 12 years and saw LOTs of cops being bad stories on the nightly news)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._lnk3%7C215562

the last 3 paragraphs of the article are the most telling

the reason I am putting this in the Polictics section is because of the contradiction going on in the world today. by that I mean the so called "Arab Spring" phemonia where repressive goverments/ditcators/bullies/etc, try and opress their propulation and deny the world any "access" to the "truth" iof what is going on inside said countries boarders.

we of the outside world applaude and support the protestors/ordinary citizens of said country when video, pictures, images, e-mails, Tweets and Facebook posts do get out and show what the government "thugs" are really up to.

but GODS forbid when it happens in our own country.

just another shaving of our "rights" (or temproary priviliages as George Carlin would put it. "they ain't rights if someone can take them away")
    Last edited by Racket_Man; 06-13-2011, 05:39 AM.
    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

I don't get this part *at all.*
    So in 1994 the Illinois state legislature removed the wiretap law's privacy provision. It was an explicit effort to override the decision eight years earlier.
    Why would they want to do that? What possible reason (or plausible excuse, take your pick) could they have had?
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Hm, video taping or recording people without their permission. We keep getting people who turn on the video camera once the crime has been committed and it's just the cop restraining someone with proper force and everyone says, "He didn't do anything wrong! Oppression!"
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
        Hm, video taping or recording people without their permission. We keep getting people who turn on the video camera once the crime has been committed and it's just the cop restraining someone with proper force and everyone says, "He didn't do anything wrong! Oppression!"
        lol that's most of the police brutality videos I see. It's always about ten minutes into an altercation, and you usually can't see anything.

Some idiot says "Look he wasn't doin' nothin' and the cop was wrestling him down to the ground!" Yes because you weren't watching five minutes ago when he had a gun threatening a child. you didn't see that he has a knife in his belt that he's frantically trying to get at while the cops bring him down.

Comment

I find this whole thing very ironic considering how blue a state IL is...
          Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

It's a tough matter. As I said, a lot of people just turning on cameras when the police have the upperhand so they look bad. But at the same time, bad cops need to be caught and prosecuted.
            Last edited by Greenday; 06-15-2011, 11:24 AM.
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
              It's a tough matter. As I said, a lot of people just turning on cameras when the police have the upperhand so they look bad. But at the same time, bad cops need to be caught and persecuted.
              Actually, bad cops need to be caught and PROSECUTED. Going after people who videotape cops (the way the State's attorney is doing) is persecution.

Comment

Thanks for the catch.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanasi View Post
                  I find this whole thing very ironic considering how blue a state IL is...
                  I'm not surprised. The ten counties up north control everything in this state and also want to control the citizens as well.

Comment

But but but the democrats and progressives are for the comman man they're not supposed to be oppressing them that's the republicans job. Has IL truly become the People's Republic of Illinois???

Comment

Originally posted by Tanasi View Post
                      But but but the democrats and progressives are for the comman man they're not supposed to be oppressing them that's the republicans job. Has IL truly become the People's Republic of Illinois???
                      Heh, more like The Kingdom of Chicago with the Colony of Illinois. King Patrick I listening to his Parliament want to control everything. Statewide office elections are about as real as the WWE.

Comment

and considering that the Chicago Police force is one of the most corrupt in the nation. but then it always has been. and has a LOGN history of theft in uniform, beating and intimidating suspects/witnesses (back about 10 years ago a couple of bad cops, long suspected long as in 20 - 30 years got popped and literally 1000's of cases/convictions could be overturned)

yes I know most major cities have some corrupt cops like LA and NYC. unfortuenately the small numbe of bad apples ALWAYS bring extra sructiny oin the good cops.

my problem with the Il law is that people out in public even if they are cops have NO expectation of "privacy". technically the cops could go way overboard. for example:

say a cop makes a stop at a mall. now think about this. every store in that mall has their own video recording equipment trainerd on things insode and OUTSIDE of the stores. now the mall itself has camera sweeping the parking lot and entrances/exits. what do the cops do?

well they could arrest EVERY store clerk and the managers and the owner of both the stores AND mall and shut down the mall just to make sure a "message" was sent so no one interferes with the very PUBLIC things officers to.

given the wording of the IL law this is NOT an unreasonable scene.

and to top that off most of you have NOT touched on the small town aspect of this. Yeah you can and DO have the Boss Hogg and Sherriff Roscoe thing goin on in some areas
                        Last edited by Racket_Man; 06-16-2011, 08:26 AM.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                        The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

It's funny, when the law wants to record us, they tell us, "If you're not doing anything wrong, you hav nothing to worry about." Well, that works both ways.
                          --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

So I'm curious does this kind of oppression blatently exist in "red" states??? If so where???
                            Not making a statement or anything I'm genuinly curious.

Comment

Working...
                            X