• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walmart using scare tactics to tell employees how to vote

http://crooksandliars.com/2008/08/01...rats-in-office

Voter tampering?

I think that news may be a bit old.

Not doubting its veracity, just wondering if its STILL accurate.
    Last edited by Hyena Dandy; 06-22-2011, 08:03 AM.
    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

A friend of mine just started a short-term job at Target; they made her watch a training video on the evils of unionization.

Comment

Well, the WM execs did sum up my experiences with unions. They took my pay and I got NOTHING in return. And I had no choice in it if I wanted to have a job.

Though this kind of vote tampering shouldn't be allowed.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
          A friend of mine just started a short-term job at Target; they made her watch a training video on the evils of unionization.
          I don't know if Unions are inherently evil, but I am starting to wonder if we have past some point where the point of the Unions have diluted a little, if not a lot.

I have no problem with the thought of a group standing up for their rights and pressure an unreasoning bunch of bastards, but there are issues that are caused by the fact that there ARE unions.

Businesses leaving the country so they don't have to deal with unions (and taxes and other things), the fact that some unions are so controlling that it is nearly impossible to fire someone who is a slacker or has done something wrong because the Union will pressure the company not to do so.

And many many more.

I just wonder if the Unions as they stand are what we need in this country or do they need to evolve to meet the needs of the people that belong to them AND the needs of the economy.
          “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

There are a lot of unions, perhaps most, that have become the monsters that they were created to fight.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

A few years ago unter the Liberal government here they introduced "workchoices" The bare bones of workchoices was ouy had 2 choices, agree to what ever the company decided to change your contract to or loose your job, the unions were rather important at that time, where I was working, some of the standard things were stuff like you get a 10-15 minute paid break and a 30 minute lunch break if you work 8 hours, if you work more than 38 hours a week, you were paid penalty rates for anything over and above that, you got paid sick leave and annual leave, standard stuff in Australia that is required by law unless agreed upon by both workers and the company, well the company decided it wanted to get rid of pretty much all of the above apart from the lunch break, which they wanted to cut down to 20 minutes, under workchoices that could basically give you the ultimatum of sign it or loose your job, had it not been for the unions thousands of workers would have been royally screwed.

Then there's the case of my accident at work, I'd have been in big trouble if I hadn't been a union member.

I'll relate that some otehr time when I'm not so sleep deprived.
              I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
              Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Aside from the benefits (or lack thereof) of unions... the whole business of pushing employees to vote the way you like is just wrong.

As was, it turned out, the claim they were using. Are unions, in fact, easier to form or more powerful now than they were in 2008? Not from where I'm sitting.
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                X