Matt Damon Defends Teachers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
    Honestly, we need to stop apportioning funds based on the taxes raised in any given area, and start distributing them evenly on a per-student basis. Every student should be given the same allotment as every other student. And if people don't like that some inner city youth is getting the same chance at an education as their precious snowflake, they can send them to a private school and shut the fuck up.

^-.-^
    /applaud
    /whistle
    /standing ovation

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
      Honestly, we need to stop apportioning funds based on the taxes raised in any given area, and start distributing them evenly on a per-student basis. Every student should be given the same allotment as every other student. And if people don't like that some inner city youth is getting the same chance at an education as their precious snowflake, they can send them to a private school and shut the fuck up.

^-.-^
      Twenty years ago, we in Michigan voted on a proposal that was supposed to do that very thing. Sales taxes were raised from 4% to 6% and property taxes were lowered by the same percentage. The idea was that the State would disperse that income equally amongst the state. As it turns out, the richer districts get about $12,000 per pupil vs. $7,000 in some of the poorer districts. So it did nothing....

Comment

Operative phrase being "supposed to." I suspect that the actual text of the bill in question did rather different things than the advertising claimed. I cannnot count how often I've read the text of a bill only to find that neither the proponents nor the opponents came even close to actually representing what the bill would do in their fight to get it approved or defeated.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Fully agree with him. Who in their right mind would want to be a teacher in the US?

I'm a CSR. I sit in a call centre and answer calls for a living. I got this job with self taught computer skills. If I were to quit my job now, go to school for however many years to get my teaching degree for K12, the certifications, etc. Then moved to the US. My starting salary in the US would be lower than what I make being a CSR in 11 states.

Lower.

That is frankly appalling. Especially considering the cost of living is higher there too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
            Fully agree with him. Who in their right mind would want to be a teacher in the US?

I'm a CSR. I sit in a call centre and answer calls for a living. I got this job with self taught computer skills. If I were to quit my job now, go to school for however many years to get my teaching degree for K12, the certifications, etc. Then moved to the US. My starting salary in the US would be lower than what I make being a CSR in 11 states.

Lower.

That is frankly appalling. Especially considering the cost of living is higher there too.
            And in getting a teaching certificate, you have to pay for your internship. And after you get your teaching certificate you have to get a Masters within 7 years. (at least in my state)

Comment

Working...
            X