Rick Perry for President 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rick Perry for President 2012

NOTE: I do not endorse Perry or any other candidate, this is merely a post about him.

Four years after we bid farewell to our last President who was a Governor of Texas, another one has just thrown his hat in the ring. Rick Perry is going all in on a bid for the White House.

Here's a few facts you should know about him:

- He's a fundamentalist Christian who recently organized a prayer rally at the Reliant Astrodome in Houston called "The Response" in which 20 000 people came out to pray for America. The event had an interesting group of participants and sponsors, including the American Family Association (a Christian organization identified as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law center due to their views on gays)

- Often takes credit for improving the Texas economy and building the state into a model of how a state should be properly governed.

- HOWEVER, Texas currently ranks #1 in the following categories: Percentage of residents without any health insurance, accidental deaths in the workplace and minimum wage workers.

- He has been active with Tea Party groups in the past and even suggested at an event held by one of them that Texas could potentially secede from the Union due to frustration with Federal policies. Here's more:

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas Gov. Rick Perry fired up an anti-tax "tea party" Wednesday with his stance against the federal government and for states' rights as some in his U.S. flag-waving audience shouted, "Secede!"

An animated Perry told the crowd at Austin City Hall -- one of three tea parties he was attending across the state -- that officials in Washington have abandoned the country's founding principles of limited government. He said the federal government is strangling Americans with taxation, spending and debt.

Perry repeated his running theme that Texas' economy is in relatively good shape compared with other states and with the "federal budget mess." Many in the crowd held signs deriding President Barack Obama and the $786 billion federal economic stimulus package.

Perry called his supporters patriots. Later, answering news reporters' questions, Perry suggested Texans might at some point get so fed up they would want to secede from the union, though he said he sees no reason why Texas should do that.

- It should also be noted the rate of unemployment in Texas is about on par with other states who were not severely impacted by the economic downturn (like New York for example)

- Only yesterday, he made a thinly veiled threat at Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke, suggesting Bernanke would be guilty of treason if he were to print more money any time soon. Here's the quote:

“If this guy prints more money between now and the election, I dunno what y’all would do to him in Iowa but we would treat him pretty ugly down in Texas. Printing more money to play politics at this particular time in American history is almost treasonous in my opinion.”

I should also mention that after concerns were raised about that comment, neither Perry nor his Campaign offered an apology. The only response from his campaign stated the comment was due to Perry's frustrations with Federal economic policy.

The other thing should know about Rick Perry: He's actually polling pretty well. Currently, he's the number two choice behind Mitt Romney and ahead of Michelle Bachmann. There's definitely a possibility of him getting the Republican nomination.

I won't be able to vote in the next election (not a citizen yet) but if I could I'm really not sure who I'd choose.

As much as I don't want to see a nutjob become president, I wouldn't worry too much seeing as the Republicans have been doing everything possible to make themselves look bad. And this was after I was already predicting Obama would win re-election. But that's mainly because the Republicans don't have any decent candidates close enough to being moderate that they stand a chance.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Don't forget that this is also the governor who wouldn't even consider a stay of execution for a man convicted of the arson-murder of his two daughters despite there being compelling evidence that the entire case was built on bad science and who then went on to refuse to allow a panel that might have brought the fact that the man was wrongfully convicted and executed convene a meeting on that subject by replacing key members whose time on the panel had expired, but who he could have delayed replacing for the two days that would have allowed the meeting to happen rather than be canceled immediately by his newly appointed panel leader.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
        As much as I don't want to see a nutjob become president, I wouldn't worry too much seeing as the Republicans have been doing everything possible to make themselves look bad.
        The problem is that apparently while they were making themselves look bad they had every republican in stasis.

Every republican I know is talking about the situation of the Republicans using the economy as blackmail and the stalling they did as a tactic of Obama's as if it was all his idea.
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

I grew up in Texas and only moved to Hawaii 3 years ago. I've always hated Perry. If you think the cuts to social programs are bad now wait till he gets in power. For example the food stamp program in Texas I was considered one of the lucky ones. I got $50 a month in food stamps. I was told of little old ladies who got $10 a month in food stamps to supplement their pensions. When I was told how much I was awarded to feed myself I was like "WTF?! How am I supposed to feed myself on that?!", but compared to $10 that's good. Every year there's cuts to the Mental Health/Mental Retardation Services budgets which I depended on for my medication and monthly doctors visits. Education took a big dive under Perry.

Comment

I really don't think we need a secessionist president.

I'd *like* to vote based on things like who is likely to help the economy and such. But NONE of them will do much for that, because if anyone could it would have been done already. I believe they will, though, get as much of their *social* priorities through as they possibly can, including court nominees. So as much as I hate to be a one-dimensional voter, I just cannot go for someone who says the states should be free to do whatever they want (except when it comes to allowing gay couples to marry; we need a federal constitutional amendment to stop that!), Mrs. Bachman who says we're "part of Satan," etc. So I guess, unless someone else turns up, I'll be voting for Obama again.

But I really hate being so.... constricted.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
              As much as I don't want to see a nutjob become president, I wouldn't worry too much seeing as the Republicans have been doing everything possible to make themselves look bad. And this was after I was already predicting Obama would win re-election. But that's mainly because the Republicans don't have any decent candidates close enough to being moderate that they stand a chance.
              I concur, the Republicans are making themselves out like a 3 ring circus that are in the house and congress and the ones trying to get nominated for president. Though (God forbid) if one of them were to get nominated and win I could see them nominating the supreme court with those more aligned to their view (ultra-conservative, tea party-ish views).
              There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

I think my favorite recent Republican trick was the brief shutdown of the FAA. Grrr....

Comment

I am SO not a fan of Perry. The whole field disappoints me, but some of them I at least have a basic level of respect for. Enough that I think I disagree with them, but that they can handle the job. Maybe not to my liking, but I think they could BE President. Not so for Perry. I do not think he's fit for office. I do not think Michelle Bachmann is fit for office. I do not think Sarah Palin is fit for office.
                  "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                  ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

About the only one that I think is fit for President is Romney but he may turn out to be too sane.

Comment

Originally posted by mikoyan29 View Post
                      About the only one that I think is fit for President is Romney but he may turn out to be too sane.
                      The thing is even IF Romney gets the nomination I can practically guarantee you that Bachmann or Perry will get the VP nod. They'll need someone like that to get the Tea Party vote they'll need if they want any chance of beating Obama.

Comment

And even more on Perry. Today he came right out to say he thinks climate change is a fraud perpetrated by money grubbing scientists:

Texas Gov. Rick Perry is a conservative Republican, and as such he does not believe that climate change is caused by human activity. But Perry went one step further than most in the mainstream climate change denier community on the presidential campaign trail in New Hampshire Wednesday, stating flatly that scientists drum up phony climate change data to make a buck.

"A substantial number of scientists [have] manipulated data to keep the money rolling in," New Hampshire Union Leader editorial page editor Drew Cline quoted Perry saying on the stump in a tweet. Before that, Cline quoted Perry saying, "I do believe the issue of global warming has been politicized."

Another Granite State reporter listening to Perry, this one from New Hampshire Public Radio, tweeted that Perry said "Scientists are 'coming forward daily' to disavow a 'theory that remains unproven.'"

Comment

Didn't you know that they were denying science in the Texas school room in favor of creationism? I think they'd get rid of it all together if they could, makes people think, can't have that!

Comment

The thing is even IF Romney gets the nomination I can practically guarantee you that Bachmann or Perry will get the VP nod
                            I'm less concerned about them being a Vice President than a president. The power of the VP largely depends on what the president is willing to give them. Yes, a heartbeat away, but I doubt that Romney would actually give them much to do.
                            "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                            ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by Akasa View Post
                              Didn't you know that they were denying science in the Texas school room in favor of creationism? I think they'd get rid of it all together if they could, makes people think, can't have that!
                              They've spent years denying evolution and have honed the whole "la la la" thing to a tea (or is that t?). YOu say, "What about the fossil evidence?" and you get back, "Yeah, what about it?". Well you know evolution is just a theorty and blah blah blah.

There was actually a pretty interesting article in the Slate tonight about the Tea Party is probably do more for a big nanny government than any liberal could dream about. One of their points of evidence was how investors still rushed to T-bills.....

Comment

Working...
                              X