Schools vs Refineries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schools vs Refineries

Texas communities may feel the bite of further cuts to funding while local refiners are proposed to receive more than $135,000,000.00 in retroactive tax refunds.

Article at Manufacturing.net

The spokespeople for the refineries are arguing that they are due tax breaks on equipment purchased to reduce gasoline emissions based on a law that is written to provide such only for equipment that provides on-site reductions, which the equipment in question actually increases.

If the breaks go through, schools throughout the state will be forced to return money they don't have that was disbursed to them that had been collected from those tax funds.

Meanwhile, Gov. Perry and the Texas legislature refuse to dip into the "rainy day fund" to help fund schools that don't have enough money to retain staff or purchase supplies such as paper towels, sports equipment (balls, etc), etc.

Perry continues to crow about how industry is growing under his watch while sweeping the sad condition of the state's schools under the rug where he hopes nobody will notice.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

In a generation or two when the US is illiterate, no one's going to have to worry about anything like "funding"
    I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
    Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
      Perry continues to crow about how industry is growing under his watch while sweeping the sad condition of the state's schools under the rug where he hopes nobody will notice.
      well yeah, just like his "prayer vigil" was to distract from the over 100,000 people that gathered for the distribution of free school supplies at a convention center 7 miles away(over half were turned away with nothing)
      Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
        In a generation or two when the US is illiterate, no one's going to have to worry about anything like "funding"
        I will say it again Idiocracy is already happening.
        I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
        The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
          Then the educated among us can finally take over the world like my dad always wanted to...the illiterate ones will be too confused to mount a useful objection (but they have guns, so...eh, one can always hope they'll forget how to use them effectively)
          "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

Nah. Guns are like sex: sadly, nobody is so stupid they can't figure it out.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
              Nah. Guns are like sex: sadly, nobody is so stupid they can't figure it out.
              You...you haven't spoken with some of the people I've spoken to.

Comment

Working...
              X