Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teachers/First responders jobs bill blocked in Sen

http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz1bS3Ifkpk

In their first attempt to advance individual pieces of the president’s sprawling American Jobs Act, Democrats fell short of the 60 votes needed to move forward a $35 billion package for states and localities to hire and prevent the layoffs of teachers and first responders.

For the record, all Republican members of the Senate voted against the bill, primarily because one of the funding mechanisms it used was a 0.5% tax on people who make more than $1 million/year.

Originally posted by Crazedclerkthe2nd View Post
    For the record, all Republican members of the Senate voted against the bill, primarily because one of the funding mechanisms it used was a 0.5% tax on people who make more than $1 million/year.
    Oh, I thought it was because the Democrats put up the bill and Republicans never vote for anything the Democrats come up with. Silly me.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Well, that was probably the reason they gave to justify it.
      I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
      Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
        Oh, I thought it was because the Democrats put up the bill and Republicans never vote for anything the Democrats come up with. Silly me.
        Wow. Never? Really?

Votes 172, 173, 174, 180, and 181 would suggest that they do, indeed, vote on bills proposed by Democrats. In point of fact, votes 180 and 181 both passed.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Those 38/46 Republicans who voted sure as didn't help with 180.

And 181 did not pass. You need 60 yeas and they only got 58. 40/47 Republicans voted no.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Accurate data. Inaccurate result.

That was a simple majority vote, for which they received a surplus of 8, not a supermajority, which would have left them with a deficit of 2.

Senate Vote 181 at senate.gov

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Yet the numbers still prove my point. The majority of Republicans refuse to vote for Democrat initiatives. Pointing out that a very small minority voted with the Democrats does not mean in any way, shape or form that the Republicans generally vote for Democrat proposals.

Comment

That's not what you said. You said that it failed because it was put up by a Democrat, and I demonstrated that while that may be a large factor, it is not the only one.

^-.-^

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                  That's not what you said. You said that it failed because it was put up by a Democrat, and I demonstrated that while that may be a large factor, it is not the only one.

^-.-^
                  It's a general guideline for today's politics. A lot less gets done simply because of the R's and D's next to people's names. Sure there are other factors, but the R's and D's matter more to many politicians than the issues themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post

^-.-^
                    Shorter Andara: Only 95% of republican cote against democratic proposals, therefore Republicans are not blocking the senate.

Man, math in your world is weiiiird.

Comment

Working...
                    X