Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newt Gingrich: fire Janitors, make kids work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FArchivist View Post
    Even when I was in high school over 17 years ago I didn't have time for that. I had 2-3 hours of homework a night + plus mandatory extracurricular activities. If I didn't accomplish all that? My ass was grass.
    I'm sorry, but I don't buy this. The students would help clean the school during school hours, not after school. The Korean students help clean up their schools, and they have much less time than most American students by far. At least at my school, they have to be in school from 8:30am until 2:30pm (I work at an elementary school...middle and high school students go to school for longer and have even less free time), then they get a little time off, then a lot of them go to private academies for another 6+ hours sometimes. And they are still expected to help keep their classrooms and the school as a whole clean. It's not a lot, and when all of them are helping out, it really doesn't take that much time everyday. Some sweeping, taking out the recycling, these are not huge, dangerous, time-consuming jobs. Just the basic upkeep that any building needs. I see nothing wrong with incorporating something like this into American schools.

However, firing the janitors and having the students take over all the responsibilities that the janitors do is a level of stupid I simply can't comprehend.

Comment

Originally posted by ExRetailDrone View Post
      I'm sorry, but I don't buy this.
      Welcome to GA and the wonder that was Woodward Academy. At a tuition that is today $18-21K/year, janitor duties are not on the academic regimen.

Comment

Working...
      X