Rick Perry goes to war on Gay people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rick Perry goes to war on Gay people

It's no secret Perry is a fundamentalist christian who doesn't like gays, but in the past couple of days he has made that position abundantly, even shockingly clear.

Firstly, he stated that supporting human rights for gay people is NOT in America's best interests:

Texas Gov. Rick Perry said today that using foreign aid to combat human rights abuses against homosexuals in foreign countries is “not in America’s interests” and attacked President Obama’s decision to require U.S. agencies operating abroad to promote equal rights for gays as part of the administration’s “war on traditional American values.”

“Just when you thought Barack Obama couldn’t get any more out of touch with America’s values, AP reports his administration wants to make foreign aid decisions based on gay rights. This administration’s war on traditional American values must stop,” Perry said in the statement. “Promoting special rights for gays in foreign countries is not in America’s interests and not worth a dime of taxpayers’ money.”

Source:
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...cas-interests/

And if that wasn't bad enough, he has a new campaign ad out trashing gays again and vowing to end Barack Obama's "war on religion"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAJNntoRgA

Transcript of ad:

I’m not ashamed to admit that I’m a Christian, but you don’t need to be in the pew every Sunday to know there’s something wrong in this country when gays can serve openly in the military but our kids can’t openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school.

As President, I’ll end Obama’s war on religion. And I’ll fight against liberal attacks on our religious heritage.

Faith made America strong. It can make her strong again.

I’m Rick Perry and I approve this message.

So his arguement is acceptance of gays = war on religion.

Another one I hope goes the way of Herman Cain and drops out of this race.

Comment

Part of me wants to get riled up, but then I remind myself that people who think like this are a dying breed. With each passing year, more and more Americans support equality. I think conservatives know this, and it's why many of them are cranky.

Oh, and as for that ad, children ARE allowed to pray in school. The prayer just can't be mandated by the teachers. Of course, Perry and his ilk want it to be mandated by the teachers.

Comment

Combining Perry's statements with the speech the Secretary of State gave yesterday, it's almost explicitly an endorsement of governments' beating, imprisoning, and/or killing their gay citizens. Surprising, to me, for one who wishes to win in the general election. Not sure yet whether it's *worrisome* or not; depends on how it's taken.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

The whole silent majority and creation of the "Christians" as a political force was in a direct response to the Civil Rights movement and the legalization of abortion in the 60s. Before that Religion had a very small say on federal elections. All of the different sects of christianity hated each other. Prodistans hated Catholics, Catholics hated Baptists, everyone hated mormans, etc.....

So many elected officials downplayed their religious affiliations. But when major changes happened in our country, they where able to band together under common causes.

1. Civil Rights
          2. Legalization of Abortion
          3. Gay Rights

Well, number 1 is in and there is nothing that can be done about it. Almost half of Americans are in favor of gay rights. Mostly in the generational gap, where the younger are more in favor then the older. Another generation or two and the fight for Gay rights will be won. Abortion rights is the only one that is still up in the air. However its very problematic, it can be won or lost. If that happens it will be less of a political tool.

So keeping the gay rights and abortion fights alive give them more political capital to keep the religious base motivated and voting republican. Also it means that republican lawmakers have no desire to do anything about gays. They just want people to see they are keeping up the good fight.
          Last edited by Daskinor; 12-07-2011, 07:53 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Perry isn't a fundamentalist Christian. He's a soulless shill whoring his allegiance to the highest bidder, which right now means he acts like a fundamentalist Christian.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by guywithashovel View Post
              Part of me wants to get riled up, but then I remind myself that people who think like this are a dying breed. With each passing year, more and more Americans support equality. I think conservatives know this, and it's why many of them are cranky.

Oh, and as for that ad, children ARE allowed to pray in school. The prayer just can't be mandated by the teachers. Of course, Perry and his ilk want it to be mandated by the teachers.
              Children can also openly celebrate Christmas. Perry seems to be blind to the rampant Christmas marketing going on right now.

What can't happen is government agencies can't set up religiously themed displays. A Christmas tree is OK as it is not actually a Christian symbol. A Nativity scene is not OK.

Of course, multiple displays from different faiths is OK. But heavan forbid we celebrate Kwanza or Hanukkah at the same time as Christmas.
              Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

By Odin's missing eye!
                I do not understand what it is about gay people that these idiots hate so much. Ive met gay people, worked with them, served in the military with them. Gay people are just like everyone else! There are good honest ones and stupid ones. Their sexual preference doesnt have anything to do with it.

How the hell can we call ourselves a free country is beyond me when dipshits like that are able to get elected into any public office.

Comment

Perhaps going to YouTube and flagging it as inappropriate might do a LITTLE something???

Comment

They challenge gender roles. You would not believe how deeply scared and confused and angry these people get when someone steps out of their assigned roles, be it gender, class, age, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by crazeyal View Post
                      Perhaps going to YouTube and flagging it as inappropriate might do a LITTLE something???
                      Na leave it up. Let this destroy his campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                        Na leave it up. Let this destroy his campaign.
                        Agreed. To quote Abraham Lincoln:
                        Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Comment

"Let's see, what issue to focus on...

Economy?...no...
                          Government budget problems and Congressional dysfunction?...no...
                          Homeland security?...no...
                          Gay bashing and religion in schools to cater to the right wing but potentially torpedo my campaign? YES!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Caveat Emptor View Post
                            Gay bashing and religion in schools to cater to the right wing but potentially torpedo my campaign? YES!!!"

No, the real is the fact that this will probably actually help his campaign... maybe not in the general election, but for the republican primary, let's face it, all it is any more is a contest to see who is the most homophobic or the most intolerant of different religions, or better, a combination of both, and he has just proven he has both in abundance.
                            "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

I just pray that if this sort of thing *does* get someone the nomination, that they're fool enough to keep going with it once the real campaign starts. Or at least find it impossible to smooth over.
                              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                              X