Newt Gingrich to gay man: Vote for Obama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newt Gingrich to gay man: Vote for Obama

Oskaloosa, Ia. – Newt Gingrich told a gay man and longtime resident of Oskaloosa here today that he should vote for President Obama.

“I asked him if he’s elected, how does he plan to engage gay Americans. How are we to support him? And he told me to support Obama,” said Scott Arnold, an adjunct professor of writing at William Penn University.”

Source: http://littlegreenfootballs.com/arti...Vote_for_Obama

Astounding, absolutely astounding.

This is a Presidential FRONTRUNNER straight up telling gay people he doesn't want their vote.

That's a good way to shoot yourself in the foot politically speaking. Not only did Gingrich just lose the entire gay vote, he also lost the vote of any of their straight friends. I wouldn't be surprised if he lost the vote of other minorities too. After all, if he feels that way about the gay vote, how does he really feel about the African-American vote or the Latino vote, etc.?

Comment

Considering the way the republican hopefuls are shaping up, I'd say he's being remarkably honest. Not clever, but honest.

Rapscallion
      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

It should be noted that he didn't say gay people should vote for Obama; only that, if you give gay marriage high priority, you should. He still wants the votes of gay people who place more importance on changing who cannot fix the economy from the White House to vote for him.

http://www.boxturtlebulletin.com/2011/12/21/39947
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Actually, all in all I find this a remarkably honest statement for an American politician to make. Generally they just make a bunch of empty promises and change the subject.

Gingrich is an asshat, but he's being an honest asshat.
          "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
          TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

Yeah, I mean, I think he's a despicable, paranoid asshole.

But, hey.

HONEST.
            "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
            ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Well, no need to overstate things. He made one honest statement. That doesn't make him honest
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Teysa View Post
                how does he really feel about the African-American vote or the Latino vote, etc.?
                You forget though, social conservatives don't view homosexuals as a minority, but rather a group of diseased individuals, so a black or latino social conservative would feel no fear hearing Gingrich say that, he's not targeting a disability, he's targeting a mental disorder as far as they're concerned.
                "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

He does realise he needs the swing vote right? You know, the group that gets squirrelly when they see extreme statements from either side? Like that one? -.-

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                    You forget though, social conservatives don't view homosexuals as a minority, but rather a group of diseased individuals, so a black or latino social conservative would feel no fear hearing Gingrich say that, he's not targeting a disability, he's targeting a mental disorder as far as they're concerned.
                    True, but Gingrich and other Republicans/Right wing commentators have made disparaging remarks about Muslims/blacks/latinos/Jews and a whole host of other minorities as well.

In short they've done a great job of alienating anyone that isn't white and Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedclerkthe2nd View Post
                      True, but Gingrich and other Republicans/Right wing commentators have made disparaging remarks about Muslims/blacks/latinos/Jews and a whole host of other minorities as well.

In short they've done a great job of alienating anyone that isn't white and Christian.
                      And no small number of those who are.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
                        Considering the way the republican hopefuls are shaping up, I'd say he's being remarkably honest. Not clever, but honest.

Rapscallion
                        Clever like a fox.

Let's consider this for a moment, shall we?

Gingrich told Mr. Arnold that if he was picking a candidate based on their position on gay marriage, he'd be happier with Obama. That's not the same thing as saying he didn't want gays to vote for him. It's a far cry from that, in fact.

Let's also consider this: gays and lesbians are as widely varied in their political views as the general population. Some are quite conservative, particularly on fiscal issues.

If I were gay or lesbian, and a conservative, and gay marriage either didn't matter to me, or was less important than other issues dear to conservatives, then I might view Gingrich favorably for at least being open and honest about the issue.
                        Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Perhaps, and it may be wishful thinking, but I'd like to think he lost more than he gained - or didn't lose.

Rapscallion
                          Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                          Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
                            Perhaps, and it may be wishful thinking, but I'd like to think he lost more than he gained - or didn't lose.

Rapscallion
                            Part of me hopes he wins. Obama will cream him in November.

Romney is the candidate who could actually win for the Repubs.
                            Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

I suspect the Republicans might have reelected Obama already with the recent payroll tax thing. Also, consider the quality of the Republican frontrunners, I have long been suspecting that Obama can just write his second inaugural address now.

Once again, though, I might be eating these words a year from now. We'll see.

Comment

Working...
                              X