• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iran "Warns" U.S.

"Don't bring your carriers back into the Gulf"

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/03/world/...ss_igoogle_cnn

*snerk*...

What are they going to do, move their frigates and corvettes to block the Strait of Hormuz? Their ships would become home for fish within a minute.
    Last edited by Caveat Emptor; 01-03-2012, 02:20 PM.

Soon to be the U.S.'s reply: And who is going to stop us?

Seriously, Iran is asking for a punch to the face.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Iran has submarines now.

However, they don't have nuclear powered subs. So their subs have to be diesel, which is a joke.

I imagine we have subs on the way to that area. Since their movements are generally secret, no one will know about them until one either pops up out of the ocean in a show of force (I've seen 'em do this in Hampton Roads--spectacular!) or until an Iranian sub does somethings stupid and we decide to sink it.
      Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

It could turn into one of those, let's antagonize them until they first punch, then we annihilate them and it's justified.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
          Iran has submarines now.

However, they don't have nuclear powered subs. So their subs have to be diesel, which is a joke.

I imagine we have subs on the way to that area. Since their movements are generally secret, no one will know about them until one either pops up out of the ocean in a show of force (I've seen 'em do this in Hampton Roads--spectacular!) or until an Iranian sub does somethings stupid and we decide to sink it.
          Diesel electric subs are no joke when their batteries are fully charged.

Comment

Originally posted by mikoyan29 View Post
            Diesel electric subs are no joke when their batteries are fully charged.
            This. A well-built Diesel-Electric is ~quieter~ than a nuclear submarine, due to not having the need for constant coolant circulation around the reactor. There's been at least a half-dozen occasions of Swedish and German Diesel-Electric U-boats getting into the naval equivalent of 'kissing distance' with an aircraft carrier, which, in general, causes the US admiralty to Shit Steel bricks.

Comment

Originally posted by Salted Grump View Post
              This. A well-built Diesel-Electric is ~quieter~ than a nuclear submarine, due to not having the need for constant coolant circulation around the reactor. There's been at least a half-dozen occasions of Swedish and German Diesel-Electric U-boats getting into the naval equivalent of 'kissing distance' with an aircraft carrier, which, in general, causes the US admiralty to Shit Steel bricks.
              I just remember from my submarine games hating diesel electric subs....Hating them with a passion....

Comment

I know I'm going to get reamed on this, but "Down Periscope" had covered the possibly of a diesel electric sub getting right to the shores of a naval base. Granted it was a comedy and took several liberties but I would not be surprised if there was training exercise similar to the movie with similar results.

Comment

If I remember correctly, a modern diesel-electric with a fully charged battery can stay under water at least a day (if not more). If the sub is in decent repair, the propellor wont cavitate so there's no noise from that. The machinery is fairly quiet and electric motors are extremely quiet. So a diesel electric can wreak havoc. Now if it has to charge the batteries, that is a different matter as they are much noisier than a nuke.

Comment

That is assuming obama is willing to go to war to defend this country. He only seems to get us involved in situations that we really have no business there. Libya, sending troops to central africa to deal with local issues.
                    I honestly think he lacks the will to go to war should it be necessary to teach Iran who the stronger country is.

Comment

Originally posted by christopher View Post
                      That is assuming obama is willing to go to war to defend this country. He only seems to get us involved in situations that we really have no business there. Libya, sending troops to central africa to deal with local issues.
                      I honestly think he lacks the will to go to war should it be necessary to teach Iran who the stronger country is.
                      Yeah maybe he'd be more like a real American if he sold them arms....

and seriously...Libya? They've been a thorn in our side for over 30 years.

And you mention Central Africa...You may be intersted to know that is basically a continuation of some of the Bush policies.

Comment

Originally posted by mikoyan29 View Post
                        And you mention Central Africa...You may be intersted to know that is basically a continuation of some of the Bush policies.
                        Yep, and notice how nobody says a thing about it?

Comment

And why would the US need to show who the stronger country is? Usually only 10-year old bullies need to show off, I don't think the US is that childish.

Just my opinion though.

Comment

Because letting people badmouth us and let everyone think that we can be pushed around is not an awesome idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                              Because letting people badmouth us and let everyone think that we can be pushed around is not an awesome idea.
                              There is a difference between,

"I am sorry sir but those Trade Arrangements are not beneficial to us so you need to make a better offer or no dice"

and

"Oh my god he called my mama fat bomb them!!!"

There is a difference between badmouthing us and pushing us around the two are not the same thing at all.

If a country badmouth us and talks big so what let them. We watch out for whether they are a serious risk and deal with them accordingly. However preemptive stuff is well stupid and makes us look like a school yard bully trying to quietly take over the world.

If a country attempts to bully us and make us do what they want then yes we should stand up for ourselves and say no.

But for god's sake we don't need to freak out every time another country's official position is they don't like us and want us to leave them the hell alone.
                              Jack Faire
                              Friend
                              Father
                              Smartass

Comment

Working...
                              X