ACTA, the new SOPA/PIPA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACTA, the new SOPA/PIPA

Just when you thought the internet was safe.

Here's a video explaining the bill.

Basically, it has the same broad language as SOPA and same harsh penalties. I don't know how much of this is being blown out of proportion by sensationalists, but I do know that because of existing laws like DMCA, there is no need for more regulation.

This sounds like another case of asshole politicians protecting big businesses at the cost of freedom.

Will they ever give up?

nope. they wont give up. so people will keep crashing government sites until they give up on that bill too.
    hubbie posted this article up on FB
    http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...y-bought.shtml
    more related to SOPA then ACTA but still showing the corruption going on.
    Last edited by siead_lietrathua; 01-25-2012, 11:40 AM.
    All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

Can someone post the link to the bill so i can read it and make up my own mind?
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
        Can someone post the link to the bill so i can read it and make up my own mind?
        That's the problem. It's not a publicly viewable bill. It's a trade agreement which does not need to be public (and in this case isn't, it's being kept hidden from the world at large) and does not need a congressional vote.

There's not really anything the public can do about this. The MPAA and RIAA have even went through considerable effort to make sure that only their members are the experts on this trade agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
          That's the problem. It's not a publicly viewable bill. It's a trade agreement which does not need to be public (and in this case isn't, it's being kept hidden from the world at large) and does not need a congressional vote.

There's not really anything the public can do about this. The MPAA and RIAA have even went through considerable effort to make sure that only their members are the experts on this trade agreement.
          If it is any sort of treaty, it has to be proposed by the President and ratified by the Senate. Sort of like NAFTA or any of a number of other trade agreements that have been entered in the past.

Comment

When the Feds shut down Megaupload.com, that was proof that we don't need any laws like ACTA or SOPA to shut down sites for piracy.
            There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

yep. they can shut down downloading sites with current copyright laws just fine. all these new laws will do is make life harder for common citizens that like their memes and silly cat pics.
              All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

And it's not as if DMCAs can't be abused as they are.

Comment

Originally posted by tropicsgoddess View Post
                  When the Feds shut down Megaupload.com, that was proof that we don't need any laws like ACTA or SOPA to shut down sites for piracy.
                  Domestic sites. The whole point of SOPA was to give the Attorney General the ability to cut off foreign sites from having access to the American people if those sites were providing illegal downloads or selling illegal medication.
                  Jack Faire
                  Friend
                  Father
                  Smartass

Comment

Apologies, I am an idiot. Have a pleasant day.
                    Last edited by kamn; 02-10-2012, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X