Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecticut Mayor Offends Latino Community

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...-draws-outrage

When asked how he would support the Latino community after some police officers were accused of doing them wrong, he said, "I might have tacos."

Evidently, it has caused some notable outrage.

Don't kill me but were they offended because that implies he isn't going to do crap or because they don't want to be associated with Tacos?

I have to ask because I have noticed a trend that a person from a culture known for (X) item gets offended when they are associated with said item even if they acknowledge that said item is a big thing in their culture.

It would be like me being offended if someone said something in a related situation, "I might have a burger" and I got offended that they used the word burgers when really I like burgers and fully acknowledge they are a big part of my background and culture.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Comment

Well, it was in regards to a situation where some police officers were arrested for racial profiling, so he was making a jovial comment during a serious matter, which tends to offend people.

Also, I'm sure most of the tacos made here in the US are not what most would consider "authentic Mexican," so maybe they don't want to be associated with that.

Finally, the suggestion that the Hispanic community could be flattered merely by someone eating a taco might be offensive.

Just throwing out some possibilities.

Comment

Mostly, I suspect it was his making light of the situation that can have serious consequences for those involved is what made it an issue.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
          Mostly, I suspect it was his making light of the situation that can have serious consequences for those involved is what made it an issue.

^-.-^
          I sincerely hope so I have just known people who that would have been the thing that bothered them.
          Jack Faire
          Friend
          Father
          Smartass

Comment

I followed a link on that article to this other, related one. There was one part of this other article that hits the reason for the outrage right on the nose:

"It's like he's saying, 'OK, I'll go out and show my face at a Hispanic restaurant,'" Pedro Gutierrez, the owner of the Guti'z bakery said. "He doesn't even know most people are Ecuadoreans here," since tacos are native to Mexico and not part of traditional Ecuadorean cuisine.
            It's stereotyping and the generalization that anything Hispanic = Mexican. As a half-Venezuelan, I can vouch for the fact that it is annoying.
            Last edited by firecat88; 01-29-2012, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X