Sandra Fluke/Rush Limbaugh controversy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
    Personally, I don't think the Bill Maher comment can compare to what Rush said. Bill Maher called Sarah Palin the C word. He didn't accuse her of having sex partners lined up around the block. He didn't say she needed to video tape herself having sex and post in on the internet for everyone to view.
    Exactly. While calling a woman a "cunt" isn't exactly nice -- and at least two of my female friends will kick someone's ass if they call them that -- it's just a general term for a disagreeable woman, no different than calling someone an "asshole."

But calling someone a "slut" or a "prostitute" is a lot more specific. It's saying that the woman in question is having sex with multiple partners, possibly for money, which could land him in legal hot water. On the same note, you could probably get away with saying a guy is "creepy", since it's a matter of opinion, but if you call a guy a "pedophile", you could get sued if you don't have something to back your statement up with.
    --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
      but if you call a guy a "pedophile", you could get sued if you don't have something to back your statement up with.
      He had the mustache case closed
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by bara View Post
        I like how some people are saying it is a violation of free speech for people to petition his advertisers and radio stations to pull him off the air.

Really, I find that funny. He exercised his right to free speech and now all those petitioning are exercising their right to free speech.
        it's more akin to forced censorship/bullying

toe the line or lose your job/you said something I didn't like so I'm punishing you.

Originally posted by the ACLU
        “And I hear people saying when they put pressure on his sponsors, ‘Oh, the system is working.’ No, it’s not. That’s the system being manipulated.”
        yes the ACLU is defending mr limbaugh's right to speak his mind.
        Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
          it's more akin to forced censorship/bullying

toe the line or lose your job/you said something I didn't like so I'm punishing you.
          If they were worried about what he said, they would have pulled sponsorship ages ago. I would suspect they rather regard it as a business investment. He's said things that will appall and shock their customers, and their product is being placed next to it. Not good business sense, and they will have reckoned they will gain more end user goodwill from publicly disowning him.

I don't see them having any ability to punish, only to reward for a large audience.

Rapscallion
          Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
          Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

you said something I didn't like so I'm punishing you.
            Well, yes. If you sponsor someone, you're endorsing them. You're saying "This is someone I want to be associated with." So if they go against what you go for, then yeah, pull the sponsorship because it's not something you're a part of.
            "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
            ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Free speech doesn't mean you can say things that are blatantly untrue. What he did was Slander.
              Jack Faire
              Friend
              Father
              Smartass

Comment

Down in flames. Down in flaaaaaames.

By last count, at least 50 sponsors had pulled their support from Limbaugh's show, including AOL, The Huffington Post's parent company.

On Thursday, Limbaugh's program was practically devoid of paid advertisements, according to reports. Of the 86 spots that aired, 77 were "free public service announcements donated by the Ad Council." Seven ads were from companies "in the process of pulling their spots."
                God I need some popcorn. Apparently he's also completely killing AM radio too!

Its a win win all around.

Comment

In the immortal words of Nelson Muntz:

HA ha!
                  --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                    God I need some popcorn. Apparently he's also completely killing AM radio too!
                    AM radio is still around

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                      At this point the only way he could possibly become any more of a diseased cancerous growth in the very rectum of the human race is if he joined Westboro or Al-Qaeda.
                      Westboro would probably take Rush, but I believe Al-Quaida has higher standards.

Comment

Wow. 50 sponsors..and nobody stepping in to take their place? Won't be long till he is off the air at this rate. This is not a case of 'open mouth, insert foot'..this is a case of 'open mouth, insert entire lower half of body'. Frankly, I don't care for either sides rhetoric. Don't listen to these types of shows. Well except Ventura's Conspiracy Theory..because it is entertaining. Neither side is all saints, still Rush was one of my least favorites..so won't be sad when he goes.

Comment

Does Stern still broadcast on XM?

Comment

You know things are bad when even Ad Council spots don't want to appear on your show.
                            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by mikoyan29 View Post
                              Does Stern still broadcast on XM?
                              Yup, still on there.

Comment

Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
                                Yup, still on there.
                                I suspect that is where Rush is going to end up when all is said and done.

Comment

Working...
                                X