X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now in Kansas

Ready the torches and pitchforks.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/05...in-the-nation/

Kansas House passed an all-encompassing anti-abortion law.
    Help a friend!

Even if it passes, it'll be challenged in court on day 1, tied up in the courtroom until it's struck down or reaches the Supreme Court (and likely struck down). Several of the provisions are out-and-out... well, I can't say "illegal," but at the very least, morally reprehensible. There's no way this will last.

And the fight over this will be a long, painful, expensive waste of taxpayer money.

Comment

Best part, Governor Brownback has already promised to sign the bill, unread. I can't wait to leave this god-forsaken state.

Comment

For some reason, I have this image of a woman going to have an abortion, going through all that crap, then getting checked every year for breast cancer. Then when it comes back clean, she starts shaking them in the doctors face

Comment

Always good to sign things you haven't read yet.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

People in Kansas should take a hint and vote these idiots out next time they can. Politicians need to learn that their jobs are never safe so pulling silly stunts like this won't fly.
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
              People in Kansas should take a hint and vote these idiots out next time they can. Politicians need to learn that their jobs are never safe so pulling silly stunts like this won't fly.
              The problem is they get away with this crap all the time.

Comment

The problem is that there are a lot of religious conservatives who applaud Brownback & Co. for their policies, such as eliminating the Arts Commission, slashing funds for education, refusing to prosecute domestic violence, and, of course, all of the anti-women stuff. Remember, Brownback is financed by the Koch assholes who propped up Walker in Wisconsin.

There are too many conservatives in Western Kansas and Wichita that will vote for the (R), no matter who it is, because Jesus. I still say that the Topeka/Lawrence area should join up with the KC Metro, break away from Kansas and Missouri, and make a new state that isn't so fucking stupid.

I hate to say this, because she's doing a great job in the Cabinet, but this really is Obama's fault, for taking away Gov. Sebelius to be the Health and Human Services Secretary. Her Lt. Gov. just wasn't able to hold on to things, and it's been going downhill ever since.

Comment

The whole "because Jesus" is actually a pretty recent development. People have been voting for the party far longer than that, just because it's easier to do what their parents/work/friends/talking-heads-on-tv/etc tell them to do in the voting booth than actually doing research and voting for the best candidate.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

This will happen: A woman is not told of conditions with her pregnancy because of this law. She will suffer. The baby or mother will both die.
                    At that date, I would be the first to put into the legal fund to hold each and every one of the misogynistic, bible thumping "small gub'mint" asshats accountable.
                    I firmly believe that if you're going to draft and sign a law into existence, you should be prepared for the fallout, legal and otherwise.

Comment

They pass a law like this and before the ink dries from the governor's signature it will find itself in court and then the Republicans can protect us from "activist" judges.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverharp View Post
                        I firmly believe that if you're going to draft and sign a law into existence, you should be prepared for the fallout, legal and otherwise.

Might I recommend some reading?

Heinlein's addresses this quite well by the character Prof. de la Paz.

"It may not be possible to do away with government — sometimes I think that government is an inescapable disease of human beings. But it may be possible to keep it small and starved and inoffensive — and can you think of a better way than by requiring the governors themselves to pay the costs of their antisocial hobby?"

Book was published in 1966, and while a work of fiction, touches on many of the societal problems we have today.

"Thing that got me was not her list of things she hated, since she was obviously crazy as a Cyborg, but fact that always somebody agreed with her prohibitions. Must be a yearning deep in human heart to stop other people from doing as they please. Rules, laws — always for other fellow. A murky part of us, something we had before we came down out of trees, and failed to shuck when we stood up. Because not one of those people said: "Please pass this so that I won't be able to do something I know I should stop." Nyet, tovarishchee, was always something they hated to see neighbors doing. Stop them "for their own good" — not because speaker claimed to be harmed by it."- Mannie

Quotes are from the Moon is a Harsh Mistress- Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

A lot of Heinlein's stuff is sociopolitical commentary with a side of science fiction and sex.

Comment

Originally posted by bara View Post
                            Might I recommend some reading?

<snip>

Quotes are from the Moon is a Harsh Mistress- Robert A. Heinlein
                            Now there's one I haven't read in a long time.
                            Thre was one brilliant man.

Comment

Working...
                            X