Dishonest political ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dishonest political ads

I'm really getting sick of these post-Citizens United SuperPAC ad campaigns. I mean, politics was a bit slimy before, but it's really sunk to new lows since the CU ruling.

Case in point: Proposition 29, a new smoking tax bill being put before the California voters next month.

The anti-29 ads are grossly dishonest, making very strawmannish claims that aren't supported by a reading of the bill itself.

CLAIM: Funds from the law could be spent out of state, when our state needs more employment.
    TRUTH: While the claim is technically true, it's outside the realm of reality when the entire bill is taken into consideration. The funds are administrated by a 9-person panel, several of which are the Chancellors for each of the University of California campuses. Odds are good that they're going to be pressing for the research funds to be spent at the UCs themselves.

CLAIM: The funds will be controlled by a group of politically-appointed special interests.
    TRUTH: Only four of the nine seats will be appointed by the Governor, and the criteria for filling those seats are very strict, including a disqualification for anyone who is required to register as a Lobbyist. The other five are three UC Chancellors (or their designees) and two appointed by the State Public Health Officer, which are, again, very narrowly constrained as to who they can appoint.

CLAIM: Once it passes into law, it won't be changeable for 15 years.
    TRUTH: The only provision in the law that says anything about "15 years" is that the Council can't make changes for 15 years, and after that point, they can make recommendations for the Legislature. If the Legislature agrees with the Council's recommendations, they can pass the changes with a roll-call vote. It can still be amended at any time by the usual method of passing bills.

There are other claims, but these are the most egregiously misleading.

And the worst part is that it's ultimately not really necessary to try to mislead the public like this. There are plenty of people who will vote it down simply because they believe that these taxes should go into the general coffers, instead of being narrowly locked onto cancer-related research. Heck, I'm not even sure I'll vote for it, at this point. I need more time to study it.

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
    I need more time to study it.
    This right here makes you the exception not the rule and is why dishonest political ads exist.

It's why a thousands of people would vote to pay more for insurance because the insurance companies make them think voting for the law to prevent it is a dirty trick.

It's why thousands of young people will say, "I want more individual rights" and then follow it up with politicians that a little bit of research would show are against individual rights.

They know most people will not do any research.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Comment

They know most people will base their decision upon the first piece of information they hear and won't change it no matter what they learn about it later, even if they learn that the first piece of information outright lied and the decision they made is counter to their own best interests.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
      X