Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iowa Republican Party releases 2012 platform...wow...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa Republican Party releases 2012 platform...wow...

Full text of the platform is here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/94367949/I...osed-Platform#

It's a lot to go through but here are some brief highlights.

They believe:

- Abortion should be illegal
    - Same sex marriage should be illegal
    - The United States should withdraw from the U.N.
    - ACORN and affiliate groups need to be fully investigated
    - Agenda 21 must be stopped
    - Churches should be allowed to get involved in politics AND retain their tax exempt status
    - Public school libraries should contain materials on creationism and intelligent design

Also more on religion in schools:

1.9 We believe that Judeo-Christian values and Scripture should not be excluded from government schools

1.10 We support the free speech right of students to write and speak about God and religion in government schools.

In addition to that, they flat out state that they REFUSE to acknowledge Roe vs. Wade because, in their opinion, the 10th Amendment of the United States Constitution means the court cannot impose laws or legal decisions on the states.

Oh and they want to dismantle the government too:

We support the elimination of the departments of Agriculture, Education, Homeland Security, Housing and Urban Development, Health and Human Services, Energy, Interior, Labor, and Commerce as well as TSA, FDA, ATF, EPA, National Endowment for the Arts, Fannie Mae, and Freddie Mac.

There's more than that. A LOT more. I recommend taking a look at the whole thing. It's really quite a read.

Sooo...

They basically want a return to the conditions and social strata of the feudal era?

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

"When taught, sex education should stress abstinence outside of marriage as the surest way to prevent pregnancy, the spread of sexually transmitted diseases, and associated psychological problems.”

I've always loved that bit of propaganda, that sex if you're not married makes you crazy and gives you teh gay.

Ooh! A proposal to give landowners preferential voting privileges!

16th century, here we come!

Comment

Originally posted by Silverharp View Post
        "When taught, sex education should stress abstinence outside of marriage as the surest way to prevent pregnancy, the spread of sexually transmitted diseases, and associated psychological problems.”

I've always loved that bit of propaganda, that sex if you're not married makes you crazy and gives you teh gay.
        Well, it certainly is 100% fact that abstinence is the surest way to prevent pregnancy, spread of STDs and associated psychological problems.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
          Well, it certainly is 100% fact that abstinence is the surest way to prevent pregnancy, spread of STDs and associated psychological problems.
          Conversely, "abstinence-only" education (where abstinence is the only "choice" mentioned) has been tied to a rise in STDs, teen pregnancy, and unwed mothers.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedclerkthe2nd View Post

- Abortion should be illegal
            And of course, they'll then discover women dying left, right and centre due to back-alley abortionists but they won't complain until the birthrate starts dropping.

- Same sex marriage should be illegal
            Not too different from current perspectives.

- The United States should withdraw from the U.N.
            Ohhh this WILL be interesting for a few reasons. The US actually helped FOUND the UN and on top of that, the US is one of the five permanent members on the Security Council. Withdrawing from it, they'll most likely end up discovering that "strength in numbers" is an appropriate measure.

- ACORN and affiliate groups need to be fully investigated
            For WHAT exactly?!

- Agenda 21 must be stopped
            No comment.

- Churches should be allowed to get involved in politics AND retain their tax exempt status
            I can see this working out just fine...."you there, why are you not in church on a Sunday?! That's a $500 fine!"

- Public school libraries should contain materials on creationism and intelligent design
            I do believe it's called The Bible.

Comment

It is also 100% fact that teens will fuck regardless of what they are taught. Hence why highly religious abstinence only style states tend to have the highest rates of teen pregnancies and std's.

Comment

Originally posted by Duelist925 View Post
                It is also 100% fact that teens will fuck regardless of what they are taught. Hence why highly religious abstinence only style states tend to have the highest rates of teen pregnancies and std's.
                I'm not saying abstinence education is the way to go, just that abstinence IS the best way to prevent all of that.
                Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I didn't know what Agenda 21 was, so I looked it up.

Why do the Republicans have such a problem with sustainable stuff? I mean it's not particularly cost effective to have to maintain a military presence in the Middle East. It seems if we work towards that end, we would be much further ahead of the curve.

Comment

Originally posted by mikoyan29 View Post

Why do the Republicans have such a problem with sustainable stuff?
                    I had to do the same.

I can think of two outlandish theories:

1) that if there is more use towards sustainability, various companies that are GOP backed and run will end up going out of business and costing the GOP valuable money.

2) That by increasing the use of non-sustainable materials, they can start taxing the hell out of people who use them.

(Yes I wound up watching the Family Guy episode last night where BRian tries to get marijuana legalized...."A bag of weed, a bag of weed, all you need is a bag of weed"....)

Comment

I'm not saying abstinence education is the way to go, just that abstinence IS the best way to prevent all of that.
                      This is true. Abstinence is the best way to ensure no stds/pregnancies/etc, in a perfect world.

But this is far from such.

Comment

No, abstinence is absolutely the best way to avoid all of those things.

Abstinence education, however, has been proven to be insufficient to actually get kids to be abstinent.

Basically, it's a great fall-back line that has pretty much no value in the real world.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
                          I had to do the same.

I can think of two outlandish theories:

1) that if there is more use towards sustainability, various companies that are GOP backed and run will end up going out of business and costing the GOP valuable money.

2) That by increasing the use of non-sustainable materials, they can start taxing the hell out of people who use them.

(Yes I wound up watching the Family Guy episode last night where BRian tries to get marijuana legalized...."A bag of weed, a bag of weed, all you need is a bag of weed"....)
                          The problem is that sustainable energies will never completely replace oil. Windpower is only so efficient (along with solar or any of the other types of energy). The other thing is that many of the companies in the dirty energy business are trying to look into the future and support cleaner energy.

Comment

Originally posted by mikoyan29 View Post

Why do the Republicans have such a problem with sustainable stuff? I mean it's not particularly cost effective to have to maintain a military presence in the Middle East. It seems if we work towards that end, we would be much further ahead of the curve.
                            It's a biblical thing I believe. Many Christians believe that the formation of a "one world government" is a huge sign of the End Times. That's why they want America out of the UN and all UN backed international initiatives like 21.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedclerkthe2nd View Post
                              It's a biblical thing I believe. Many Christians believe that the formation of a "one world government" is a huge sign of the End Times. That's why they want America out of the UN and all UN backed international initiatives like 21.
                              The UN is not and never was intended to be a "world government". It is an organization that is developed to provide a chance for countries to civilly talk to one another, along with providing assistance in other areas. In order for a "One World Government" to occur, countries would need to give up their sovereignty (the right for a country to exist and for outside parties to NOT interfere with their internal affairs, with exceptions), which is never going to happen. That is why they have a secretary-general, not a president, king, prime minister etc.
                              Last edited by fireheart17; 05-23-2012, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X