Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not caring if women die = having moral values

Link

Okay, the title is a bit emotive. But read what this guy said.

“We have literally stopped abortion in the state of Mississippi. Three blocks from the Capitol sits the only abortion clinic in the state of Mississippi. A bill was drafted. It said, if you would perform an abortion in the state of Mississippi, you must be a certified OB/GYN and you must have admitting privileges to a hospital. Anybody here in the medical field knows how hard it is to get admitting privileges to a hospital…"
    And this

"It's going to be challenged, of course, in the Supreme Court and all -- but literally, we stopped abortion in the state of Mississippi, legally, without having to-- Roe vs. Wade. So we've done that. I was proud of it. The governor signed it into law. And of course, there you have the other side. They're like, 'Well, the poor pitiful women that can't afford to go out of state are just going to start doing them at home with a coat hanger.' That's what we've heard over and over and over.

"But hey, you have to have moral values. You have to start somewhere, and that’s what we've decided to do. This became law and the governor signed it, and I think for one time, we were first in the nation in the state of Mississippi."
    Okay, so you have a State Republican Rep basically admitting that the law they drafted ostensibly to make abortion safer (by ensuring that the doc performing the procedure must be an OB/GYN and have admitting privileges to a hospital) is actually about making an abortion so difficult to obtain that it's all but impossible.

But then they have the gumption to try and stop blogs from showing clips of him making those claims by filing copyright claims.

Damnit, if you're going to make controversial statements, at least have the stones to stand by them.

So he's trying to abort the situation before it grows too much because he can't handle it?
    hmm...

But seriously, fuck the American Republicans.
    I was tossing up between moving to Canada or the USA about 5 years ago.
    I ended up choosing Canada because I like to be treated as a person, not as a uterus with legs.

If you are willing to let innocent people die just to uphold your morals, then you don't actually have any morals at all.
    "Having a Christian threaten me with hell is like having a hippy threaten to punch me in my aura."
    Josh Thomas

Comment

I like how he admits that it's going to be challenged and cost the state millions to defend it (and likely get it tossed as unconstitutional), but he's proud of handing over those funds to the lawyers rather than, say, using it to improve the state.

I'm really tired of lawmakers passing laws that they know won't stand up to SCotUS scrutiny just so they can have a talking point about how they took a stand for whatever that season's bullshit is.

I also like how he totally dismisses the reality of back-alley abortions by just saying that the other side keeps bringing it up. You know, because it's some dog whistle and not because it's history so recent that it was probably still happening when he was young.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
        If you are willing to let innocent people die just to uphold your morals, then you don't actually have any morals at all.
        funny you should mention morals....
        Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

I am against abortion, except in cases where the mother or the child's life is in imminent danger. I don't think this is the best way to go about it, though, as it seems a bit underhanded, using the guise of making abortions safer in order to just make them impossible.

Comment

I think that abortion is a very serious issue, and not to be undertaken lightly. But I'm not ever going to need an abortion myself, nor am I likely to ever be in a position of whether or not to abort a potential child of mine. I think it would be the height of arrogance for me to vilify people who have to make that choice, and choose differently than I might.

It's not my choice to make.

Comment

When people ask me, I say that I am against abortions...except in the case of if there is a person who is pregnant who either can not, or does not wish to be pregnant.

Abortion should never be forced, nor should it ever be denied.
              "Having a Christian threaten me with hell is like having a hippy threaten to punch me in my aura."
              Josh Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
                I think that abortion is a very serious issue, and not to be undertaken lightly. But I'm not ever going to need an abortion myself, nor am I likely to ever be in a position of whether or not to abort a potential child of mine. I think it would be the height of arrogance for me to vilify people who have to make that choice, and choose differently than I might.

It's not my choice to make.
                I don't think lesser of anybody for having an abortion, I just personally don't agree with it, except in the cases I mentioned. But they don't see it the same way I do, and that's fine. And I'm all for trying to bring it down as much as possible, but I think the proper routes to do so are revamping our adoption system and also sex education/making contraceptives readily available, not underhanded legislation

Comment

I'm really tired of lawmakers passing laws that they know won't stand up to SCotUS scrutiny just so they can have a talking point about how they took a stand for whatever that season's bullshit is.
                  Not quite. Until the law *is* struck down, or at least a ruling against it is issued and not stayed, it's in effect. That's however-many abortions prevented, which *is* accomplishing something (whether good or ill.)
                  "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                    Not quite. Until the law *is* struck down, or at least a ruling against it is issued and not stayed, it's in effect. That's however-many abortions prevented, which *is* accomplishing something (whether good or ill.)
                    Laws that are unconstitutionally sound but pass anyway are usually Stayed via ex parte motion within the first two business days after they pass, which is still far before they actually go into effect. There have been many laws over the past few decades that have been struck down as unconstitutional without ever being in force for so much as a minute. All of which is, of course, a waste of taxpayer funds at all stages of the process, from drafting and submitting the bill, to voting on it, to challenging it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
                      So he's trying to abort the situation before it grows too much because he can't handle it?
                      hmm...

But seriously, fuck the American Republicans.
                      I was tossing up between moving to Canada or the USA about 5 years ago.
                      I ended up choosing Canada because I like to be treated as a person, not as a uterus with legs.

I went the other way. I moved from Canada to the USA for years ago and now reside in, of all places, Mississippi. Go figure.

This guy just doesn't get it. If you shut down the clinic women will resort to things like coat hangers and back alley "doctors" to get abortions, they won't just magically decide to keep their baby because there's no legal way to end the pregnancy.

This will cause more problems than it will solve. I am generally not in favor of abortion but I think if it is to be legal, there should be safe places for the procedure to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
                        Laws that are unconstitutionally sound but pass anyway are usually Stayed via ex parte motion within the first two business days after they pass, which is still far before they actually go into effect. There have been many laws over the past few decades that have been struck down as unconstitutional without ever being in force for so much as a minute. All of which is, of course, a waste of taxpayer funds at all stages of the process, from drafting and submitting the bill, to voting on it, to challenging it.
                        I am glad to be wrong.
                        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                        X