Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
    come check out the NAP platform, join us, we don't bite....often
    Send me a PM in a week or so. Right now, I'm still getting over Con Crud, and not entirely in my right mind.

Comment

Housemate and I were pondering briefly this morning what voting system the US uses - thanks Nekojin for the answer ^^

One of the interesting issues about any smaller party that I've seen is that they only focus on a couple of problems. Like that Atheism Party mentioned earlier - do they have a written stance on economical or foreign policy? I'm sure many do have a comprehensive manifesto but at our last General Election I saw so many local parties umm and ahh when questions were asked outside of the issue the party was formed for. It was somewhat amusing. XD

Also mad parties FTW. Roman Party, Vote Cthulhu and Monster Raving Looneys. :P *runs*

Comment

Originally posted by SongsOfDragons View Post
        Housemate and I were pondering briefly this morning what voting system the US uses - thanks Nekojin for the answer ^^
        Well, what I posted is mostly correct. Run-offs occur at levels below the Presidential level. What happens in a non-majority situation for the Presidency is more complicated, and (in my opinion) more stupid. The Presidency is then selected by the House of Representatives.

The 1824 Presidential election was a four-way race. Although Andrew Jackson won a plurality of the electoral college (99/260) and the plurality of the popular vote (41.3%), he failed to secure the required majority. As a result the House of Representatives gave the Presidency to John Quincy Adams, who actually came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by SongsOfDragons View Post
          One of the interesting issues about any smaller party that I've seen is that they only focus on a couple of problems. Like that Atheism Party mentioned earlier - do they have a written stance on economical or foreign policy?

Yes we have a full political platform that addresses many issues*, including economical and foreign policy. Unique to the NAP, is ALL party members have a say in the platform, not just the leadership.

*platform here, it has 18 points.
          Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
            Well, what I posted is mostly correct. Run-offs occur at levels below the Presidential level. What happens in a non-majority situation for the Presidency is more complicated, and (in my opinion) more stupid. The Presidency is then selected by the House of Representatives.

The 1824 Presidential election was a four-way race. Although Andrew Jackson won a plurality of the electoral college (99/260) and the plurality of the popular vote (41.3%), he failed to secure the required majority. As a result the House of Representatives gave the Presidency to John Quincy Adams, who actually came in second.
            actually, there IS a reason for the House of Representatives deciding the race- historically, the House of Representatives was supposed to represent the people of the US, while the Senate is supposed to represent the states. It's why there are a fixed number of senators per state, while there are wildly varying numbers of Representatives per state. Essentially, the Senate was designed to prevent larger states steamrollering the smaller ones.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
              actually, there IS a reason for the House of Representatives deciding the race- historically, the House of Representatives was supposed to represent the people of the US, while the Senate is supposed to represent the states. It's why there are a fixed number of senators per state, while there are wildly varying numbers of Representatives per state. Essentially, the Senate was designed to prevent larger states steamrollering the smaller ones.
              And now, the Senate is used by small states to bully larger states into making concessions to their specialness.

Comment

Unfortunately, the actual support is far greater than the election numbers show because a lot of people would rather vote for the winner than the person who they really think deserves the job.
                For some... but that's not the same as voting the way you do because you believe that to be the best of the options you believe possible, while dismissing those you believe impossible even if some of them would be better still.

The Presidency is then selected by the House of Representatives.
                An excellent reason for someone who strongly opposes the candidate of the same party as the House majority not to vote third party.

Essentially, the Senate was designed to prevent larger states steamrollering the smaller ones.
                And now, the Senate is used by small states to bully larger states into making concessions to their specialness.
                Both statements, of course, describing the exact same state of affairs from opposite points of view
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                  For some... but that's not the same as voting the way you do because you believe that to be the best of the options you believe possible, while dismissing those you believe impossible even if some of them would be better still.
                  I've known people of both persuasions in about equal numbers. Anecdotes are not data, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers turned out to be about even on voting for someone you thought was going to win regardless of platform and voting for someone who wasn't your first choice but that you hoped would beat someone worse.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

That's what happens when people start seeing political parties as sports teams.
                    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                    X