Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Solve the Climate Change Problem

Make it illegal to consider it!

In North Carolina, the law makers have decided to end the debate on climate change by not letting people research with the correct model of climate change. Instead, scientists are only allowed to use an old model that just plain doesn't work.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

If you're going to be that kind of stubborn, you'd better be right...

Yesterday's Colbert Report did a nice "The Wørd" on this one.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I don't want to live on this planet anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
        Make it illegal to consider it!

In North Carolina, the law makers have decided to end the debate on climate change by not letting people research with the correct model of climate change. Instead, scientists are only allowed to use an old model that just plain doesn't work.
        Well, in fairness, the model described in the article doesn't work either. It is in no way "correct". It is built on a variety of assumptions that may, or may not be validated in the future.

The model proposed uses an exponential component to estimate sea-level rise, which at present is not supported by any actual measurements anywhere. Over geological timescales, the sea-level rise is tapering off. Over recent (measured) history, the sea-level rise is pretty much linear.

Over the past decade, the measured rate of increase has dropped sharply.

That said, lawmakers have no business telling scientists how to do their jobs.

Comment

I don't want to live on the moon.

What planet would you rather live on?
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
            I don't want to live on the moon.

What planet would you rather live on?
            Why ever wouldn't you want to live on the moon?

Comment

Originally posted by Daskinor View Post
              don't worry, pretty soon no one will....
              Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

We could always live on one of the gas giants. I'd imagine talk about climate change would really heat up on Jupiter.

(Isn't the Red Spot supposed to go away at some point?)
                "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

A deceased friend of mine was a systems OS programmer on Super Computers at ORNL, he also worked on cluster-node computing. He said several years ago that a lot of research based on computer modeling was worthless because the researchers cooked the books. He said the researchers would input their "formulas" and collected data and then run their programs. Very often the expected results weren't produced, even after having been run on different machines. The researches concluded that there must be something wrong with the computers since they couldn't possibly be wrong. He said his boss sat down with some of the researchers to find out where the problem was and it wasn't with the compters, it wasn't the program/formulas, or the data the data proved the researchers wer mistaken. So instead of admitting their mistakes they adjusted the programs/formulas to compensate.
                  Now my friend did believe that climate change was happening because as he said, it's been changing since it began. He also believed that mankinds presence and use of resources affects the climate but on a very very small scale, only time would tell for sure.
                  Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Be it ever so smoggy, I'm still fond of air.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanasi View Post
                      A deceased friend of mine was a systems OS programmer on Super Computers at ORNL, he also worked on cluster-node computing. He said several years ago that a lot of research based on computer modeling was worthless because the researchers cooked the books. He said the researchers would input their "formulas" and collected data and then run their programs. Very often the expected results weren't produced, even after having been run on different machines. The researches concluded that there must be something wrong with the computers since they couldn't possibly be wrong. He said his boss sat down with some of the researchers to find out where the problem was and it wasn't with the compters, it wasn't the program/formulas, or the data the data proved the researchers wer mistaken. So instead of admitting their mistakes they adjusted the programs/formulas to compensate.
                      Now my friend did believe that climate change was happening because as he said, it's been changing since it began. He also believed that mankinds presence and use of resources affects the climate but on a very very small scale, only time would tell for sure.
                      The Climategate emails showed exactly this. One of the programmers in the CRU even wrote his complaints over the data quality in a README file that has become infamous.

I'm convinced that man has a big impact on the *environment*, but less so on the *climate*. I will start believing that there is a climate problem when all the people who claim there is a climate problem start behaving like there is a climate problem.

When Al Gore and Tim Flannery stop buying beach front property after saying the sea would rise.

When Patchuri stops jetting across the world to watch a cricket game after claiming greenhouse emissions were killing the planet.

When hundreds of 'environmentalists' stop flying to environment summits in luxurious tourist destinations while telling people to fly less.

When the IPCC stop using WWF promotional material in lieu of actual peer-reviewed science. (And stop calling people who point this out 'voodoo scientists')

I'm convinced that it's the sheer, galling hypocrisy shown by those on the side of the 'climate' that is the cause of the recent drop in the number of people who think that it's a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by draco664 View Post
                        The Climategate emails showed exactly this. One of the programmers in the CRU even wrote his complaints over the data quality in a README file that has become infamous.

I'm convinced that man has a big impact on the *environment*, but less so on the *climate*. I will start believing that there is a climate problem when all the people who claim there is a climate problem start behaving like there is a climate problem.

When Al Gore and Tim Flannery stop buying beach front property after saying the sea would rise.

When Patchuri stops jetting across the world to watch a cricket game after claiming greenhouse emissions were killing the planet.

When hundreds of 'environmentalists' stop flying to environment summits in luxurious tourist destinations while telling people to fly less.

When the IPCC stop using WWF promotional material in lieu of actual peer-reviewed science. (And stop calling people who point this out 'voodoo scientists')

I'm convinced that it's the sheer, galling hypocrisy shown by those on the side of the 'climate' that is the cause of the recent drop in the number of people who think that it's a problem.
                        It's OK for them to do as they wish because they "care" more than the rest of us. The quote from Animal Farm comes to mind "Some pigs are more equal than others." When Algore can provide positive proof manbearpig and maybe just maybe he'll get a shread of credibility. In the mean time I'm not going to hold my breath waiting.
                        Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

...when people still do whatever they want, but visiting Disney World involves scuba equipment?

Comment

It's just their new "Under the Sea" ride!
                            "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Originally posted by draco664 View Post
                              Today's climate change debate: Hulk Hogan vs. Big Boss Man?

There's historical (or at least legendary) precedent for legislating against water levels rising, and it didn't go too well for the legislator involved - North Carolina should read about King Canute.

Back when it was called "global warming" instead of "climate change", one thing that got to me was that conferences about it were always held in the middle of winter, when you could reasonably expect the public to be thinking "I'm freezing my ass off - global warming? Bring it on!".

Comment

Working...
                              X