X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bara View Post
    Hey now, my mom is from WV.
    I'm sure she's a wonderful person

I'm technically from Appalachia as well--the area extends up through most of western Pennsylvania. We were able to make use of the area's vast coal, clay, iron, and other reserves, that our area's outcome was vastly different from what you'd find in WV. Of course, the land isn't as rugged up here, and our rivers were actually somewhat navigable. 3 rivers meant that whatever was made--wood, glass, pipe, etc. could be easily transported. Most of the industry years ago down there was either logging or mining. When the mines played out, and farming didn't work...things kinda stagnated.

It's not that the region doesn't have resources. That's not the problem--getting to them, and shipping them *out* is. Again, the rugged terrain made building roads and railroads difficult. Awesome scenery though

Comment

Originally posted by KabeRinnaul View Post
      That and we, like the rest of the Appalachian region, suffer from severe generational poverty and all the problems that brings with it, are on the whole very rural and isolated, and often very religious. Drive out into the boondocks in any state and you're going to hear similar sentiments.
      Hmph. We've got that here in Greensboro, and it's a city.

Originally posted by protege View Post
      It's not that the region doesn't have resources. That's not the problem--getting to them, and shipping them *out* is. Again, the rugged terrain made building roads and railroads difficult. Awesome scenery though
      Part of the state's charm, IMHO. I love West Virginia, actually. My favorite place in the country.
      Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
        Anyone else not surprised that the loser is from West Virginia? Unfortunately, such beliefs seem to be common down there. In fact, I'm sure he was one of the folks that referred to Obama as "that nigger" during the election. This is *exactly* why the rest of the country makes fun of WV, and thinks that its citizens are a bunch of inbred, backwards hicks.
        Along with allegations of bestiality with sidehill gougers, but curiously only with one of the sub-species - after all, they lean so far to the right that they can only walk around the mountain clockwise.

Comment

Working...
        X