Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obama makes move to give status to young illegal immigrants, get heckled by reporter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama makes move to give status to young illegal immigrants, get heckled by reporter

In a speech this afternoon in the Rose Garden, President Barack Obama explained his administration's decision to allow as many as 800,000 young illegal immigrants to apply for temporary legal status and work permits.

Neil Munro, a reporter from the Daily Caller, interrupted the president twice, asking him to defend his statement that the move is the "right thing" for the country. Obama talked over the reporter but later in the speech addressed him, again asserting that the immigration decision is the right one. Munroe again interrupted Obama. "I didn't ask for an argument," the president said sharply, ending the unusual exchange.

Obama went on with his speech. "They are Americans in their hearts, in their minds, in every single way but one--on paper," he said of the young illegal immigrants who will be affected by his plan.

The sweeping proposal allows immigrants without criminal records who are under 30 years old, entered the country as children, have graduated from a U.S. high school and can prove they've lived in the country for five consecutive years to apply for temporary legal status and then two-year, renewable work permits. It does not provide them a path to citizenship. In his speech, Obama stressed that the move is "not amnesty," and he thinks Congress should still pass a broader legalization bill.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/w...165949610.html

As an immigrant myself, I have mixed thoughts on this. On the one hand, I can't help but start wondering if all the hoops and red tape and processing I've had to go through in my journey towards legal citizenship was actually worth it.

On the other hand, I can imagine that a child who came into the U.S. at the age of 3, has only known this country his entire life, would have difficulty being sent "home" to Mexico or wherever else he is from.

My concern is this initiative may encourage more people to try and enter the country illegally to gain status.

It doesn't lessen any of the hoops that an adult or child would have to go through to gain citizenship, nor does it lessen the hoops for them to get into the country in the first place.

In fact, all it does is provide a manner in which these people, caught between their parents' lack of consideration for their eventual situation, and the bureaucracy of the only country they know as "home," a way in which they can not be forced to hide in the cracks.

This country needs some way to address the masses of people who won't be deported, but aren't actually citizens. If we legislate that they have no options other than to be criminals, they will be criminals, and that does no good for anybody at all.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Also that reporter is a cockdrum and the fact his "news outlet" is actually proud of his actions is deplorable.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
        Also that reporter is a cockdrum and the fact his "news outlet" is actually proud of his actions is deplorable.
        "Cockdrum" is now my favorite insult of the week.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedclerkthe2nd View Post
          "I didn't ask for an argument," the president said sharply, ending the unusual exchange.
          I feel like there's a Monty Python sketch to be had with this.
          "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

there is one small error. technically there is a path to citizenship this way, although it simply makes it easier: finding a US citizen spouse. Obviously, this is possible even for illegal immigrants, but having some form of legal status makes it easier.

as for people entering the country illegally to gain status, I don't think so. remember it only helps the kid, and the kid has to stay off the radar for years.

Comment

Working...
            X