• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A humble suggestion to politicians...

...who employ advisors.

Listen to them.

Seriously.

I know that occastionally, you get an idea in your head that just seems to be the best thing ever. Like, for instance, the best way to answer a question on national television is to break out your mobile phone, set a karaoke tune going, and start (very, very badly) singing and (even worse) dancing along.

But please, pretty please, pleasepleaseplease listen when someone who is not-retarded points out that it is a very bad idea. And if you're not employing an advisor who isn't retarded, seriously consider putting one on the payroll. That way, things like this can be avoided.

Youtube Link

Action starts from about 1:30, but start at 1:20 for the question that started it.

That is a minister of the Australian Government, attempting to answer the question "What is the mood in Whyalla?"

Background: Six days before the last federal election, the Prime Minister said on national television "There will be no carbon tax under a government I lead", and excoriated anyone who dared to suggest otherwise.

Which (of course) meant that they brought one in. It started on Sunday.

Now, the government ministers who are trying to 'sell' the tax are going around a day or so after the introduction and pointing out that nothing has vanished into a black hole, therefore all the scaremongering was just that. (They think that the people of Australia are even more retarded than they are)

I'm actually beginning to believe that the current government employs advisors who actually work for the other side of politics. And that these advisors are actively undermining the ruling party by encouraging them to embarass themselves as much as possible. As conspiracy theories go, it's a bit out there, but it explains soooooooo much.

That's not such an unreasonable thing to believe. In a sensible world, politicians would (and could) hire advisers of all stripes to get a well-rounded sense of things, and would also work with politicians of other parties on shared goals, compromising as necessary for the good of the country. I don't know that much about Australia, but here, at least, that's been scarce at least the last 15 years or so and pretty well vanished entirely at the national level with the current Congress.

In the real world... well, some people are good at their jobs and place their career first, working for whoever will pay them. And if the politician really is an idiot, they might not notice sabotage when one of them really is committed to their own party.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
    X