Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is why I don't like posting anything remotely political on Facebook....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is why I don't like posting anything remotely political on Facebook....

I have some friends on FB who are down and out 100% republican. Which basically means, "I pretend I'm for people's rights then when it comes down to it fuck them, I'll take up for the faceless corporations any time."

Now it's been awhile since this happened so I'm going to paraphrase somewhat. I'll call my friend "repub."

Here is what I posted:

"I can't believe that the USA - which is supposed to be the greatest country in the world - doesn't have regulations that force companies to give each worker at least 4 weeks paid vacation time off each year like the UK etc. Now I'm not saying take all of it off at once, they can break it up into segments. The USA has some of the highest cases of stress-related illnesses and lowest workplace morale of any country each year, mainly due to the fact that companies work their employees to death and to make matters worse, people are afraid to take what little time they DO have off because many bosses look at them like they're not as valuable as the ones who simply come into work all the time and let their vacation time expire. If there was government mandated vacation time law, stress-related illnesses would go down and morale would go up. Everybody wins!"

That was when Repub stepped in:

Repub: That would never fly in America for a couple of reasons.

Me: Care to explain?

Repub: Well unlike other countries you can't give the typical American worker too much time off. Even if it's broken up into segments, too much vacation time will result in the worker coming back rusty, lazy and forgetful.

Me: So in other words all you could come up with as a response was an insulting blanket statement on pretty much all Americans?

Repub: You shouldn't talk about "insulting blanket statements" when you do it all the time.

Me: Damn I forgot that I'm not allowed to have strong opinions *note sarcasm.* Anyway, let me know the other reason why you think mandated time off is a bad thing?

Repub: Why do you liberals always want government to mandate everything? Why is your solution to everything involve government intruding into people's lives?

Me: Funny that people like you don't want government intruding into people's lives until a woman wants birth control then you want it to tell her what to do. But anyway, you didn't answer my question. Why is mandated time off a bad thing?

Repub: Corporations would either have to cut pay or fire people to make up for all the vacation time they would now be forced to pay out. Do you really want that?

Me: I'm sorry but that is a LIE! Corporations would not have to do that because they would be paying people whether they are there or not. Simple! They already pay people for what little time off they give them, what's the difference forcing a couple of more weeks? Why do you guys always take up for the corporation and never the worker?

Repub: Not wanting more layoffs so that other people can stay at home and goof off more, yeah that's taking up for corporations *note sarcasm.* You have to understand, workers are revenue generators for the company. They're not there, revenue is not coming in. Companies can't afford that.

Me: Wrong! The real "revenue generators" are the general public that buys a company's goods and/or services. The workers may be there to assist a member of the public to buy something, but ultimately it's up to John Q. Public to hand over his money to a company. If Employee A is on vacation and John Q. Public wants to buy something, he'll just go over and get help from Employee B.

Repub: Your lack of a higher education is starting to show.

Me: Oh please, now you're resorting to insults instead of trying to give a valid response. Oh and BTW, calling employees "revenue generators" is just another way of looking at them as a number that can be replaced easily instead of a person.

Repub: Yeah well haven't you considered that's a good thing? If employees know they're expendable they'll actually try to not fuck up as much.

Me: Wow. Just wow. Allow me to divert from my OP - it's been proven that having a boss who's constantly threatening your job as a way to motivate lowers morale and creates a hostile environment. But you wouldn't know that.

Repub: I never said that.

Me: Yes, you did.

I eventually deleted the post as it turned into a pissing match. But, this is why I try to stay away from posting stuff like this on Facebook....
    AKA sld72382 on customerssuck.

Ugh.

I've let myself turn friends' wall posts into heated debates, too. Usually while pointing out the utter asshattery of someone I don't know but that they do. It doesn't happen with mine - either I don't post controversial enough stuff, or the people in my friends list are smarter than friends of friends.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm with you, I have a variety of people on my facebook: Family, former co-workers, regular customers of mine who became friends, old college buddies, people I keep up with from back in high school and people from my church as well as other social groups. That's a wide variety of political and philosophical view points (when you factor in some are American and some care Canadian, even more so) so I try not to post anything too controversial.

The only time I even came close recently was when I posted a rant against homophobic religious types of which the basic gist was: "I am one Christian who will NEVER mistreat or look down on someone because of who they are."

Fortunately I didn't catch any flack from that (which was surprising in all honesty).

Generally speaking though, I try to stay relatively "professional" on Facebook.

Comment

I hate people posting politics on Facebook for the simple reason that I'm the only one right about everything.

Rapscallion
        Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
        Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I usually avoid this kind of stuff on FB, not worth in the long run. But I saw something today....

A friend in Seattle was posting about the dreariness and rain, which I understand. Then on of her friends said something to the effect of, "Yeah, all those people in the middle of the country who want rain should appreciate the warmth and sunshine!!" Um, excuse me? My state has been setting record highs for a week, and is under a total burn ban. Farmers killing themselves trying to put water on dying crops. Colorado is on fucking fire. But, hey, instead of wishing for some rain they should just be appreciating the warmth and sunshine, right?

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
            I usually avoid this kind of stuff on FB, not worth in the long run. But I saw something today....

A friend in Seattle was posting about the dreariness and rain, which I understand. Then on of her friends said something to the effect of, "Yeah, all those people in the middle of the country who want rain should appreciate the warmth and sunshine!!" Um, excuse me? My state has been setting record highs for a week, and is under a total burn ban. Farmers killing themselves trying to put water on dying crops. Colorado is on fucking fire. But, hey, instead of wishing for some rain they should just be appreciating the warmth and sunshine, right?
            I'm just glad we have power right now. It's been in the mid 90's all week so far. Which in Michigan means that it is also pretty humid. It did rain today though.....so I guess that's a good thing.

Comment

I rarely get into politics on Facebook. In fact, I can only remember one time when I did, and it was something we all agreed on. I rarely talk about this stuff with the people I'm around in real life. I just save that for online.

I have some Facebook friends who ID as conservatives, but they're not conservative in the same sense as Sarah Palin or Rush Limbaugh. A friend of mine from high school is a hardcore libertarian--in other words, "I'm cool with marriage equality and all that, but I also like guns and don't want any public funded healthcare." He's often posting pictures with pithy statements about guns (e.g. More Guns, Less Crime). Personally, I'm not much into the gun debate, so I just read that and move on.

My cousin likes to post this one picture that says "I'm that God-fearing, gun-toting, flag waving, freedom-loving conservative your mother warned you about." I find that odd as he never attends church, doesn't own a flag, and likes most of the health care law. But whatever, if that's what he wants to be called, so be it.

I have two other people on my list--high school acquaintances---who used to constantly post this message that said "Pepsi is releasing a can that has the Pledge of Allegiance on it. However, they left out the "under God" part. They said they didn't want to offend anyone. Well, I hope they won't be offended when we don't give them our money. After all, the money has "under God" written on it, too! REPOST IF YOU AGREE!"

Comment

I don't do facebook, but I'm sick of that spiteful mindset people have toward their fellow humans. In my experience, it's the Republicans who like to blame you for your struggles. Can't find a job? Well it's probably your fault. No more wellfare or unemployment benefits for you!

Fuck them. They just want to punish people for the evulz. I can't even stand reading any article or opinion piece that talks about how spoiled this generation is. My econ professor had this mindset. It's one of the main reasons I hated him (other is that he was so boring!!).

Comment

The people on my list seem to have a sort of unwritten agreement; those who at least mostly agree with a controversial-type post might comment or click "like," but those who vehemently disagree ignore it. It's not like I'm going to change the mind of that relative who put up a picture of the White House lawn covered in U-Haul trucks, nor will my old teacher convince me that DOMA should stick around, so why get into a fight among "friends" rather than acting, you know, *friendly* and emphasizing what we have in common?
                  "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                  X