No announcement yet.

Got a question about minimum wage bill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a question about minimum wage bill?

Then you obviously need to get a job.

Rep. Bill Young Answers Minimum Wage Question: 'Get A Job'

When a voter went up to Rep. C.W. Bill Young (R-Fla.) on Tuesday and asked him whether he supported raising the minimum wage, the congressman had a simple -- and irrelevant -- bit of advice for the young man: Get a job.

"Jesse Jackson Jr. is passing a bill around to increase the minimum wage to 10 bucks an hour. Would you support that?" said the voter. The exchange was first highlighted by FLDemocracy.

"Probably not," replied Young, adding, "How about getting a job?"
    Maybe, just maybe, I could think that he just misunderstood the guy the first time, but after being be told that he did have a job, to say it a second time? Not really inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/07/0...-to-get-a-job/

So he doesn't think people who live in deep poverty should get a wage increase, but he thinks him and his friends who make $174,000 a year need a wage increase. What a douche.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Fuck him.

People with his attitude suck.

Comment

You know, my brother would argue that increasing the minimum wage is an overall bad idea. But he doesn't take into account that price increases have far outstripped wages and that you cannot live on minimum wage. At least not anywhere anyone I know lives. Im not talking just living expenses, you can juuuuust make living expenses. But you cannot save for retirement or emergencies, or get health insurance, or own anything except a car that is probably about to fall apart... I could go on, but I think you all get the picture.

Comment

One of the worst examples of an answer ignoring the question I've ever seen. Even including arguments in news site comment threads.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

We shouldn't pay people with jobs more money. THEY SHOULD FIND A JOB. Stupid job-holders.
            "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
            ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

A few years ago, our Governor took a 10% pay cut because the state finances are in such a mess. The REpublicans said it was a political ploy...Well duh. It's also good leadership....don't ask your underlings to do stuff you wouldn't do yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                Fuck him.
                ok *grabs lube, condoms and a riding crop*

I think increasing minimum wage is a good thing it actually jumped quite a bit the last couple years here, it shouldn't be done in one giant leap or a lot of places will have to fire people but a gradual increase could work. in Ontario we increased the minimum from 8 something to 10.25 75 cents at a time over the last couple years.

Comment

That's a very odd price. I bet nobody gets paid the actual minimum wage, but instead gets $.0025 extra per hour
                  "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by gremcint View Post
                    ok *grabs lube, condoms and a riding crop*
                    No lube, he doesn't deserve lube.
                    I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                    Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by bara View Post
                      You know, my brother would argue that increasing the minimum wage is an overall bad idea. But he doesn't take into account that price increases have far outstripped wages and that you cannot live on minimum wage.
                      I'm all for people being able to live on more than the current minimum wage. However, I'm not sure that increasing it is a good idea. Why? It could drive prices of goods and services up further. Think about it, would companies really "absorb" the cost of having to pay their employees more? Hell no. Instead, they'd pass along that cost to the consumer. We'd be exactly right back where we are now. An endless circle, in other words.

What I'd *really* like to see, is to cap the salaries of our elected officials. There's no way in hell they should get paid as much as they do...for as little work they actually do. Cap their salaries at say $50,000. Make them git rid of their armies of minions, do away with the company cars, jets, and other perks. Taxes would come down, and maybe, just maybe, so would prices on various items.

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
                        What I'd *really* like to see, is to cap the salaries of our elected officials. There's no way in hell they should get paid as much as they do...for as little work they actually do. Cap their salaries at say $50,000. Make them git rid of their armies of minions, do away with the company cars, jets, and other perks. Taxes would come down, and maybe, just maybe, so would prices on various items.
                        $50,000 isn't a livable salary in DC and such a measure wouldn't be enough of a tax benefit.

A small minimum wage increase (50 cents-ish) along with lowered taxes for the bottom 75% of earners along with tax hikes for the top 25% would be a better help. But because too many people think they're temporarily embarrassed millionaires, no one wants to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
                          $50,000 is a little low depending on what part of the country. When I was living in MD and making 50k, I was struggling because everything was so frelling expensive. I moved to FL and was making 30k and I was living the easy life. It was bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by ngc_7331 View Post
                            $50,000 is a little low depending on what part of the country. When I was living in MD and making 50k, I was struggling because everything was so frelling expensive. I moved to FL and was making 30k and I was living the easy life. It was bizarre.
                            Yea...I've been applying to jobs across the country. All the ones in the DC area pay more than 50k a year and they are entree level.
                            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

An older study.
                              http://laborcenter.berkeley.edu/reta...policies07.pdf

Same study, just newer.
                              http://laborcenter.berkeley.edu/reta...policies11.pdf

If these studies are accurate then I can handle paying a couple bucks more to go shopping per trip.
                              Last edited by bara; 07-07-2012, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X