X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gay Marriage Plank Will Be In Democratic Party Platform At Convention

From Huffington Post
    Gay Marriage Plank Will Be In Democratic Party Platform At Convention

Looks like the Democrats are finally taking the gloves off and are ready to fight this out.

Thanks to support from President Obama, other elected officials, and campaigns like Democrats Say I Do it's fully being taken to the main stage.

Real progress is happening for a change.
    Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

It's interesting to note that the addition went through with no dissent; it's so obviously the right move that nobody is standing in the way.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Recently, it has gotten a lot more politically safe to openly support marriage equality. The most recent polls show Americans split roughly fifty-fifty on the issue. Just a few years ago, it only had about a forty-five or forty-six percent approval rating with the nation. That's my guess as to why they're now less shy to flat out say, "Yeah, I support it."

Comment

I think they know that with the current economic conditions, they have no chance in hell in November and by doing this they can get more donors... nothing to do with doing the right thing, just chasing the money (which is about all politicians anywhere do).
        "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
          I think they know that with the current economic conditions, they have no chance in hell in November and by doing this they can get more donors... nothing to do with doing the right thing, just chasing the money (which is about all politicians anywhere do).
          A) Dear God you're cynical and B) They have no chance in November? At the rate Mitt is going... >.>

If the Democrats officially support gay marriage it'll probably push the already bat shit crazy GOP straight over the edge. Driving more independents away from them.

Comment

I love how my Republican friends are so upset that the Democrats are going to make gay marriage a big deal. It's like, "Ugh, they are only trying to make the Republicans look bad! It's not even an important issue!" to which I reply, "To you maybe..." They never seem to get it.
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
              A) Dear God you're cynical
              No, I just know that gay marriage will never win in election in the United States (see the lines out of Chick-Fil-A yesterday if you have any doubt of that), and the democrats know they have already been labeled as the gay marriage party and will lose the election anyway... if they make it an official plank they can use it to leverage donations from suckers who think that equality has a chance in this rat hole of a country.
              "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

although i'm curious how they're going to get it passed.

as i've said before, marriage licenses are controlled at a state-level. same as a driver's license, or a concealed carry license.

The problem they're going to have is that if the power lies with the states... they will have an interesting legal battle wrestling this power away.

Although ... if they want to pass a law saying that every state must recognize state-issued licenses from other states, that would be interesting. especially since it could end up being CCW licenses too.

Comment

They're going to push it through the same way they push through any other civil rights issue: They're going to ban the practice of discrimination.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                    They're going to push it through the same way they push through any other civil rights issue: They're going to ban the practice of discrimination.

^-.-^
                    i know that's what you're saying you'll think will happen. however states still own the power to grant or deny licenses.

as much as you want to say "it's civil rights" you cannot just ignore the licensing aspect as if it goes away with a wave of a magic wand.

states do NOT like having the federal government strip them of their powers.

Although I guess you could try passing a law that states that all states must recognize licenses from all other states. it'd make getting a CCW worth while since that's one of my civil rights as well that's restricted by some states.

Comment

Originally posted by PepperElf View Post
                      i know that's what you're saying you'll think will happen. however states still own the power to grant or deny licenses.

as much as you want to say "it's civil rights" you cannot just ignore the licensing aspect as if it goes away with a wave of a magic wand.

Although I guess you could try passing a law that states that all states must recognize licenses from all other states. it'd make getting a CCW worth while since that's one of my civil rights as well that's restricted by some states.
                      Every state honors another State's driver's license.

CCWs are an issue because not every state has the same guidelines or restrictions to acquire one. The State of Nevada doesn't recognize the CCWs issued by any State that doesn't require a skills test to acquire it. You can open carry all you like, but you have to pass a test to conceal. If yours is issued in Colorado, Arizona, Florida, or any other state that lets you buy it, you're out of luck here.

It cannot be compared to a driver's license or a marriage license.
                      Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

It's as much of an issue for two consenting adults of the same sex as it is for two consenting adults of differing races.

As I said in the last post, it's just a matter of specifically noting that this right is no less protected than others.

it'd make getting a CCW worth while since that's one of my civil rights as well that's restricted by some states.
                        Speaking of apples to oranges...

Not only are people not discriminated against for reasons of sexual orientation when dealing with a CCW permit, but CCW laws are based on safety questions; when two women being allowed to marry threatens your safety, you can bring this to the table.

^-.-^

Comment

except that states are not OBLIGED to accept other state DL.

In fact I've seen people have their IDs confiscated for being "illegal". Why? Because the ID looked expired. The issuing state didn't require active duty military to renew.

The officer in the other state said "we do not recognize that law" and confiscated the ID even though it was perfectly legal.

and yes some states have different rules for CCW.

just as each state has their own rules on marriage. including rules on not just gender, but on age of consent, closeness in family, blood tests (dunno if those are still required tho), just to name a few.

and it's interesting you bring up gun safety laws.
                          you do realize the original gun safety laws - the Gun Control Act of 1968 - was actually in response to the civil rights movement, yes?

http://constitution.org/cmt/cramer/racist_roots.htm
                          Last edited by PepperElf; 08-02-2012, 11:49 PM.

Comment

They could repeal DOMA with a law saying the federal government will recognize all marriages that are valid when and where performed, regardless of where the couple lives. That would leave states with bans in the reverse of the position states without bans are in now.
                            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I'm sorry, but by this logic any state can deny a mixed race couple a marriage license, or refuse to acknowledge mixed race couples marriages from other states.

It IS civil rights. And a federal law stating that gays may not be discriminated against would be in exactly the same vein as laws denying a state its "Right" to discriminate based on religion, sex, or race.

Comment

Working...
                              X