Bristol Palin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bristol Palin

My thoughts on the Bristol Palin "issue": (Let it be known I am a Democrat and a huge Obama fan, for any who didn't know-- full disclosure and all)

I'm all for personal responsibility, but most people's personal responsibility doesn't involve their sex lives being dissected in national news media at the age of 17. I have no sympathy for Sarah, but I do feel badly for Bristol, especially because there are rumors that she wasn't even told her mother was being considered for the VP nomination until Sarah had already accepted.

I mean, put yourself in her shoes. Live in Alaska, your mother is the Governor, and you get trotted out at every boring political fundraiser ever. Besides show up and play the dutiful daughter at these events, what is there to do? Eat moose burgers, party, shoot stuff, date, and eventually have sex.

Then, goddamnit, you're pregnant, your stupid decisions came back to bite you in a big way, but you're trying to make the best of it, and doing okay. Then all of a sudden your mother drops this bomb on you that she's running for Vice President, so now, while dealing with an unplanned pregnancy and a fiance who's far from ready for marriage, you've also got to contend with flying all over the country, seeing yourself called a slut all over the internet, standing in front of huge crowds no matter how shitty you feel with morning sickness and how bad you think you look because you feel fat and insecure with your first pregnancy (presuming it IS your first...), and not only that, you're probably taking a lot of the responsibility for caring for a baby with Down's Syndrome, too, since mom is busy.

And then think about Levi. He's just a regular Joe, and suddenly he's the father of the vice presidential nominee's daughter's baby? All of a sudden he's shaking hands with John McCain, and traveling around the country with the parents of the girl he just knocked up. How terrifying is that?

Sarah Palin, I have no sympathy for. But while the Obama girls seem to be having a pretty good time and enjoying their brief appearances, Bristol and Levi have more important things to do than act as campaign props. They're about to be parents.

I think it's hard enough for her being pregnant at 17. I can tell she's not happy with being flown around the country; smiling for cameras when she's probably sick and hormonal.

If this is such a "private" family matter; I think Bristol should stay at home and out of the public eye.

Comment

If Sarah Palin had just stayed the Governor of Alaska, her daughter's pregnancy would not be that big of an issue for the American people. Sure, it would have been written about the Alaskan newspapers, might even have been picked up by a few AP news outlets, but there would have been no scrutiny to extent it has been.

Sarah Palin and those around are probably saying to themselves that they need to have Bristol out in the public eye to show that they're not "ashamed" of Bristol's condition. Because you cannot seriously tell me that if it was found out she was pregnant and was being kept at home, the media would not be saying "Oh! Sarah Palin is ashamed of her pregnant teenage daughter."

Damned if you and damned if you don't.

And for the record, in everything I've read, Mr. Palin is staying home with the kids now that his wife is on the campaign trail, not Bristol taking care of the younger kids.
      Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

If one feels that someone is off limits and shouldn't be talked about, then one could choose to be part of the solution and not talk about them.

A lot of this goes around during elections...everyone says that a candidate's family or personal life is not as important as the issues, but these topics remain the most popular ones on the internet and around the water cooler. It's difficult to blame the media when they're just giving the public what it wants, regardless of what they say they want.

This is one of the only problems I know of that will actually go away if ignored.

Comment

Obama has said not to talk about his wife & kids. The Clintons told the press not to badger their daughter (and the press vilified the Clintons - making fun of them for that request). Though to be honest, children from LBJ until the first Bush really weren't mentioned a lot.
          Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

I don't think she'd be vilified for leaving Bristol at home, with the exception of the very occasional appearance together as a family, a la Obama letting his girls come on stage with him at the end of his speech at Invesco Field (I was there, BTW, and the girls are so cute!)

I mean, how can one really argue with, "She's pregnant and doesn't feel up to repeatedly traveling the long distance from Alaska to the Lower 48 by airplane. We love her and I'm spending as much time at home with her as humanly possible to support her and help her prepare to give birth to her first daughter, my first grandchild." Even on a private plane, traveling by air constantly can't really be a picnic while you're pregnant.

Comment

I think this sums it up nicely. It is a bumper sticker from facebook.

"Remember to use birth control when nailing the underage daughter of an anti-abortion vice-presidential candidate during an election year."
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

On the other hand, a mere two decades ago, this situation would disqualify the whole family from being considered as a possible VP candidacy.

Comment

Working...
                X