Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, what unintended consequences do you see happening here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, what unintended consequences do you see happening here?

Cyprus is a piddly little island in the Mediterranean. It doesn't sit large upon the world stage, but that may change soon.

Cyprus' banks are broke. So, just like all the other banks around, they went cap in hand to the EU, hoping to get some of that lovely free money. (http://www.businessinsider.com/cypru...#ixzz2NmchywYF)

Unfortunately, the bailout they received had a couple of strings attached. One of which is that 10% of all depositor accounts over 100,000 euros would be confiscated to help offset the costs of the bailout. (On depositor accounts under 100k, the rate dropped to a mere 6.7%)

Who here thinks that people are not going to trust banks with their money any more? Especially since the EU can pass laws that are contrary to member nations' own laws.

Personally, I foresee a run on banks (mostly in PIIGS), and that may extend to throughout the EU.
    Last edited by draco664; 03-18-2013, 07:14 AM. Reason: added link

Housemate is seriously considering withdrawing her savings to bung in a safe. She, and I, can't...really...see how they're able to do this legally. It may be because I'm missing something that's been explained in finance jargon, but still.

There probably should be more uproar in this country than there is. Either that or coming home from the Nationals this weekend has caused me to miss it. I'm waiting to see...but if it gets to that stage I'm hoping I can grab my ISA contents beforehand.

sad times.

Comment

yeah, banks don't have enough money to pay their debts, so lets take some of that money to fund the bailout.

this is an exceptionally stupid way of selling the package to the German public. ( the idea is that the Cyproits are feeling more of the pain if I am reading ti correctly, unfortunately, it seems it'll cause problems for quite a few brits.

Comment

How are the depositors responsible for the shenanigans of the bank?

Comment

From what I've read, they think the majority of depositors into Cypriot banks are Russian tax avoiders and money launderers. They don't want to have to protect them if they bail out Cyprus.

They = EU, I think, may be wrong, may be a smaller finance section of the EU.

Here's the BBC's take..

Comment

Originally posted by mikoyan29 View Post
            How are the depositors responsible for the shenanigans of the bank?
            The same way taxpayers are responsible for the shenanigans of the politicians. In other words, they're not, but they're still going to have to pay for it.
            --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

less responsible, actually. Taxpayers at least voted politicians into power ( yes, you might not have voted for the government; not the point. My point is taxpayers at least had a choice.)

Comment

Originally posted by SongsOfDragons View Post
                From what I've read, they think the majority of depositors into Cypriot banks are Russian tax avoiders and money launderers. They don't want to have to protect them if they bail out Cyprus.

They = EU, I think, may be wrong, may be a smaller finance section of the EU.

Here's the BBC's take..
                "Russian tax avoiders" is a nicer version of what I was told… I was under the impression that it was their mafia / drug cartels that were banking there.

Maybe it's me but… I'm not sure I'd want to get myself on their hit lists.

Personally, I foresee a run on banks (mostly in PIIGS), and that may extend to throughout the EU.
                IIRC they are freezing the accounts so that people CAN'T do that. Not until the tax money is stolen out first. (assuming the vote goes in favor of the tax)

Comment

Vote from the Cypriot government has gone against, and thoroughly so.

Your move, EU finance...

Comment

Originally posted by SongsOfDragons View Post
                    Vote from the Cypriot government has gone against, and thoroughly so.

Your move, EU finance...
                    Indeed. Funny how it wasn't the voter outrage that changed the MPs minds. All it took was a quiet word in their ears by some pissed off Russian Mafia... I can't imagine why they suddenly got cold feet.

Comment

Originally posted by draco664 View Post
                      Indeed. Funny how it wasn't the voter outrage that changed the MPs minds. All it took was a quiet word in their ears by some pissed off Russian Mafia... I can't imagine why they suddenly got cold feet.
                      It wasn't the Russian Mafia, either.

It was the stunned amazement of prominent economists combined with an attempted run on the banks combined with a smackdown of the European markets that changed their minds.

Whoever thought up that asinine idea should be banned from working in finance, banking, anything to do with money for life if his plan is to cause a complete collapse of the banking industry.
                      Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
                        Taxpayers at least voted politicians into power
                        It doesn't really make a difference which politicians you vote for. You get ripped off either way.
                        --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by draco664 View Post
                          Unfortunately, the bailout they received had a couple of strings attached. One of which is that 10% of all depositor accounts over 100,000 euros would be confiscated to help offset the costs of the bailout.
                          The version I heard is that the string was that the Cypriots had to contribute towards it and it was the idea of one of their politicians to enact that tax. They're now shitting themselves over finding other ways to deal with it.

Rapscallion
                          Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                          Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
                            It doesn't really make a difference which politicians you vote for. You get ripped off either way.
                            true, but the point is that taxpayers are at least theoretically capable of finding someone more honest.

but yeah, they have something like 4 days to come up with a better plan, or the bailout's off. ( incidentally, why is the Cyprus government being asked to contribute when it's the Cyprus government that needs the bailout? isn't the whole point that the Cyprus government is out of money?)

Comment

I think the idea of a bailout is that you've first got to prove you aren't just going to spend it on sweets, by coming up with a small contribution first.

Comment

Working...
                              X