my despair over prop 2, 120, and potentially prop 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my despair over prop 2, 120, and potentially prop 8

OK... seriously, how the hell can florida cast it's vote for Obama while approving a ban on gay marriage? Am I missing something? Obama is a liberal sign of the future, and Prop 2 moves us back towards the Theocracies that the United States swore we'd never become. That aside, how can a state move over the old racism but not the old bigotry? I know that the two aren't exactly mutually inclusive where all bigots must also be racist... but it seems there is a strong correlation between them. California I must ask the same question about. At least Arizona was consistent in voting for the good ole boys and a backwards prop.
    For that matter, maybe I can ask a more basic question... when will the Theocrats be satisfied? Using the Theocrats argument against them, now that they have successfully banned gay marriage, what next? Will they be allowed to ban people from practicing Islam, or Judiasm, or Hinduism? Will they be allowed to mandate prayer at certain times of day? Will they be able to define what a Christian church is and anyone who's church doesn't meet that standard must either renounce and join an approved church or face persecution?
    To be honest... that seems to be the way the country is going... and if that's the case things look very dark for me indeed. Being registered as a member of a church that the "mainstream" considers heretical does not bode well. Not that it matters much, if they found out I was a closet homosexual (well... at least publicly in the closet... guess I can't say that about on this board anymore ) they'd excommunicate me before I'd have to worry about being persecuted as a member of a heretical church (of course... lot of good that would do me )

oh, and just some housekeeping on this thread... out of emotion over these results I'm willing to "out" myself in the somewhat anonymity of this board... that in no way means I'm willing to do likewise publicly... so of course (and I don't think it really had to be said) it would be appreciated if the people here who know me outside of CS/Fratching would keep it on CS/Fratching. Thanks.
    Last edited by smileyeagle1021; 11-05-2008, 07:19 PM.
    "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

We had a similar question in CT...whether or not to have a Constitutional Convention.
    One of the concerns was that there'd be a vote to have an amendment to ban same-sex marriage. (CT just legalized it) Question 1 was voted "no." So, as of now, the marriages are safe.

Comment

Arkansas passed the initiative that will keep unmarried couples from adopting children. It applies to both hetero- and homosexual couples - but it is obviously a law to discriminate against the LGBT community. I'm so sad.

It looks like the ban in California will pass, too.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
        but it is obviously a law to discriminate against the LGBT community. I'm so sad.
        yeah, it's so obvious that it's to discriminate against LGBT that CNN is calling it the "Ban on gay couples adopting" initiative...

Comment

To answer your question, theocrats won't be happy until everyone they hate is either dead or enslaved.

Which is why I harp so much on dominionism and women's rights. If they were ever to successfully subjugate one section of the population, it'd be open season on everybody else - including Christians they don't think are "Xtian" enough.

Am glad that my former 'exile' state of Florida voted for Obama, but I can't say as I'm surprised that they fell for the BS Teh Ghey People R Coming 2 Destroy Ur Marriage crap. There are parts of that state that are freakin' scary in regards to fundamentalist nuttery.

I am surprised at California though. Of all the states in the union, you'd think that'd be the most gay-friendly state around!
          ~ The American way is to barge in with a bunch of weapons, kill indiscriminately, and satisfy the pure blood lust for revenge. All in the name of Freedom, Apple Pie, and Jesus. - AdminAssistant ~

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
            yeah, it's so obvious that it's to discriminate against LGBT that CNN is calling it the "Ban on gay couples adopting" initiative...
            Clarified from a friend in AR - the initiative banned adoption AND fostering for all unmarried people. Straight, gay, whatever. If you're not married, you can't adopt children or be a foster parent.

I'm PISSED.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst Hunter View Post
              I am surprised at California though. Of all the states in the union, you'd think that'd be the most gay-friendly state around!
              How did the LA area vote? SF/Oakland may be very gay friendly, but, if LA/SD doesn't like it, it won't happen.

Just like in Illinois. 15 counties (Metro-East, Metro-Lakeland, Chicagoland) own the other 87.

Comment

Originally posted by daleduke17 View Post

Just like in Illinois. 15 counties (Metro-East, Metro-Lakeland, Chicagoland) own the other 87.
                sounds a bit like Utah... 4 counties have something like 80-85% of the states population, in order of size, Salt Lake, Utah, Weber, and Davis... Oh and Salt Lake makes up over half the population of that 4 county area, so really what Salt Lake wants Salt Lake gets.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                  Clarified from a friend in AR - the initiative banned adoption AND fostering for all unmarried people. Straight, gay, whatever. If you're not married, you can't adopt children or be a foster parent.

I'm PISSED.

I'm an adoptee...this terrible.

Comment

Wow, that really sucks. I'm straight, and I've never been much on the "pain of childbirth" thing, and with so many children needing a home, I personally don't see the point in me bringing yet another one into the world when one could take in a child that really needs it. I'm married now, but even if that had never happened, I've always hoped I could adopt a child, preferably one that's just about to start school. To think that just because a man may not have found me attractive/interesting enough to marry me, would prevent me from sharing my love with a child that needs it (if I lived in a state that passed such a law)? That's bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylyn View Post
                      Wow, that really sucks. I'm straight, and I've never been much on the "pain of childbirth" thing, and with so many children needing a home, I personally don't see the point in me bringing yet another one into the world when one could take in a child that really needs it. I'm married now, but even if that had never happened, I've always hoped I could adopt a child, preferably one that's just about to start school. To think that just because a man may not have found me attractive/interesting enough to marry me, would prevent me from sharing my love with a child that needs it (if I lived in a state that passed such a law)? That's bullshit.
                      A child needs a woman AND a man to raise it, and if it can't have that, the next best option is an understaffed, underfinanced group home!

Comment

anriana... please say that was sarcasm... having grown up with a single mother I can say she did much better than the group homes could have done.

Comment

The "understaffed, underfinanced" comment and the ! mark lead me to believe it most certainly was sarcasm.

Comment

OK, I just heard a quote in reference to prop 8
                            Originally posted by sucky customer
                            "I'm so glad prop 8 passed, I'd hate for the gay lovers to force their beliefs on me"
                            tell me... how does legally recognizing gay marriage, which would in no way require that churches perform the religious ceremony or even change their teachings on homosexuality, forcing beliefs on them... and do these bigots not understand that irony that they just forced their beliefs on others?
                            Last edited by smileyeagle1021; 11-06-2008, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                              ... and do these bigots not understand that irony that they just forced their beliefs on others?
                              Sure they understand...they just don't care.

Comment

Working...
                              X