No announcement yet.

Obama and Forced Community Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compulsory military service is downright evil. I refuse to actively support any organisation that continues to commit war crimes. And that whole I don't want to kill people or be killed personal issue.

My life is MINE! No government has the right to risk it without my express permission. There are damn few things I would give my life for.

If I were healthy I would have enlisted in WWII or Afghanistan right after the bombings, but I can't think of any other necessary wars.

Compulsory for who? Obviously not the severely handicapped. If one group is allowed out, then I wonder if gays would also get the boot for the same non-reasons they aren't officially allowed in now.

What about conscientious objectors like me? I would refuse to work in any military capacity even if it weren't directly combat related.

Comment

I have three big problems:

1. If it passes, it WILL get bigger and more bloated by the year, with the consequence that people lose parts of their lives to conscription instead of just their tax dollars.

2. 'Volunteers' aren't worth a rats patootey if they're being forced, plus it really tears the heart out of the idea. You'll get a lot of sullen people at best and active sabotage at worst.

3. Who decides what tasks qualify as community service? Will helping out at a Planned Parenthood be A-Ok but not at a church? (or vice-versa)

Comment

Originally posted by Dark-Star View Post
        3. Who decides what tasks qualify as community service? Will helping out at a Planned Parenthood be A-Ok but not at a church? (or vice-versa)
        Churches are religious based institutions. I don't want community service to result in fantasy indoctrinated youth.

Your example reminds me of the atheist that fought a judge's parole stipulation that he attend A.A specifically. The alcoholic felt that A.A. was incompatible with his lack of religion and was therefore a violation of his rights. Which it was and he won. A.A. requires belief in deity or "power greater than oneself" which is simply cutesy code words for gods.

Comment

Didn't think about the religious bias, sorry: different cultures.
          In the US you have a lot of things you can do your service in when you're in school, so finding one fitting to your belief is easy enough I guess.

Compulsory military service is not Evil, but it is a mistake.
          I was old enough to have been in the service myself, but I was in College and got a prolongation until the end of my studies. I would have had to serve a year after the end of my studies, which would very likely have screwed up my professional life. It's simply the way my area is: you need to be up to date, all the time. Can't afford to lose a year.
          It fucked up a lot of lifes like that, and for this reason and others got cancelled in France.

We have now a full professional military, and they sure aren't complaining. The quality of the recruits is way higher, and quality of training follows.

Comment

I still say that taking away a man's choice not to actively participate in what may or may not be a corrupt government is proof that such a government IS corrupt.
            No one on earth but I have the right to risk MY life or give up MY right to choose non-violent political dissention through avoidance of all military professions.
            I've yet to be morally forced to publically break a law, but forced inscription would be one... eventhough at 34 I'm far too old and sensible to just say ok and wander into death zones. It take teenagers and marines for that.

Comment

Working...
            X