Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Governments 'interfering' in other nations laws

Hey hey...

I just had a thought of this, as it came from another thread by suggestion, and I didn't find this one elsewhere...

What's people's thoughts on (say) your government trying put pressure on another country's legal system - either directly, or even as much as 'please be lenient towards this citizen of ours'?

Various Australians still haven't learnt that trying to smuggle drugs through Thailand isn't a very smart thing to do. They end up getting caught, and because Thailand has a fairly harsh punishment system (compared to Australia's), said criminal will often look to our PM for 'support' - so that they put up 2 cents worth of 'defence'.

My thoughts are that if you enter another country, your citizenship amounts to jack squat... you're in that country, your bound by their laws. Don't like the laws, don't go there. Simple!

Anyone else??
    ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Originally posted by Slytovhand View Post
    My thoughts are that if you enter another country, your citizenship amounts to jack squat... you're in that country, your bound by their laws. Don't like the laws, don't go there. Simple!
    Unless you're American, in which case you apparently have to abide by American laws as well!

When I first saw the title I thought you were referring to democratic countries and the UN trying to change laws that violate human rights. The situation you're describing doesn't seem like Australia is trying to actually change Thailand's law - they just want an exception for their citizens, which is dumb.

Comment

They probably want to look like they care without actually doing anything that Thailand doesn't want to do. Politics as usual... though nationalism is quite strong in many people and seeing leaders not bend over backwards for it might lead to an early retirement from politics.

Comment

I don't know, what's the punishment? If it's something that's a human rights violation, then yeah, I wouldn't have a problem with the country of the person's origin to intercede on the person's behalf.
        For example, I thought it was highly appropriate that the UK interceded in the case of that British teacher who would have faced beheading because she allowed her class to name a teddy bear Mohammed.
        Last edited by AFPheonix; 12-08-2008, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AFPheonix View Post
          I don't know, what's the punishment? If it's something that's a human rights violation, then yeah, I wouldn't have a problem with the country of the person's origin to intercede on the person's behalf.
          For example, I thought it was highly appropriate that the UK interceded in the case of that British teacher who would have faced beheading because she allowed her class to name a teddy bear Mohammed.
          Then we are back to the nation deciding what human rights are.
          I consider it a human right for atheists to speak out without fear of arrest. But does anyone here, for even one moment, think the U.S. would give a damn if I were arrested in some other nation for public atheism?

Comment

Working...
          X