Iraq and ISIS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraq and ISIS

Has anyone been following this? This terrorist group called 'ISIS' is causing trouble in Iraq and they want US air support. I don't know what Obama decided on or how I feel about it (I'm in no position to make the call), but I wonder why we can't just let the UN handle this.

Of course they want our support--their own soldiers stripped off their uniforms and *ran* from ISIS. Now they want our soldiers to return and deal with them

Comment

Hey, remember when Iraq wanted nothing more than for the US to leave? How they could totally handle things on their own?

Yea, this ended exactly as most people expected.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

^

That's that stance I'm leaning toward. We did more than enough the last ten years, and it cost a lot of lives... Get one asshole out (Saddam) and a lot more are fighting for his place.

Comment

I'm of the opinion that if Iraqi soldiers don't care about their country, why should we?

Comment

Originally posted by mikoyan29 View Post
            I'm of the opinion that if Iraqi soldiers don't care about their country, why should we?
            They care about their country, don't mistake taking off their uniforms and giving up as not caring. They know it's a losing battle and there's no point in getting slaughtered when the outcome is inevitable.

Also, I hope Archer totally goes off on this next season.
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

When you have 30,000 troops against 1,000....they shouldn't get defeated....

But then again, I'm of the opinion that Bush should have listened to the CIA, Shensheki and various other people who said it was a bad idea to invade in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by mikoyan29 View Post
                When you have 30,000 troops against 1,000....they shouldn't get defeated....

But then again, I'm of the opinion that Bush should have listened to the CIA, Shensheki and various other people who said it was a bad idea to invade in the first place.
                It's not as simple as overwhelming forces. When your opponent dresses like civilians and blows themselves up or sets a car to cruise control and blows up a barracks, what are you supposed to do about that? This isn't a war where people stand in open fields and take turns shooting at each other.

Comment

So how long should we have kept troops there? 1 more year? 5 years? 10 years? Indefinitely? And how long would they have kept getting shot and bombed?

And had Obama agreed to the conditions of the Iraqis...I could hear the howls from the Right. Some of them will say he inherited a peaceful country but I think that peace was an illusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                    It's not as simple as overwhelming forces. When your opponent dresses like civilians and blows themselves up or sets a car to cruise control and blows up a barracks, what are you supposed to do about that? This isn't a war where people stand in open fields and take turns shooting at each other.
                    Ehh, this isn't nearly as applicable. Most, if not all of the abandonment incidents occurred with advance knowledge the ISIS/ISIN forces were advancing to their location. They dropped their gear and left, leaving it for the ISIS/ISIN forces to take.

To put it bluntly, they hear the enemy was coming, said "Fuck this" dropped their gear and left. Now consider full military outposts doing this en masse.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                      Wouldn't that have been all the more reason to let the CIA handle it?

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                        Has anyone been following this? This terrorist group called 'ISIS' is causing trouble in Iraq and they want US air support. I don't know what Obama decided on or how I feel about it (I'm in no position to make the call), but I wonder why we can't just let the UN handle this.
                        I'd think a big part would be because the US started it in the first place.

Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
                        Ehh, this isn't nearly as applicable. Most, if not all of the abandonment incidents occurred with advance knowledge the ISIS/ISIN forces were advancing to their location. They dropped their gear and left, leaving it for the ISIS/ISIN forces to take.

To put it bluntly, they hear the enemy was coming, said "Fuck this" dropped their gear and left. Now consider full military outposts doing this en masse.
                        It doesn't help when the C/O is the first one to do it, it kind of sets the example for the rest.
                        I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                        Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Working...
                        X