Secondary tax isn't that bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secondary tax isn't that bad

We have an election next month and I have managed to not debate politics on Facebook but I came close today and need to post my reply somewhere.

So a friend on Facebook posted that they where going to vote Labour because Labour have said they will remove secondary tax.

um secondary tax is 1% more than standard income tax. The point of it is if between all your jobs you earn in a new tax bracket you won't have underpaid your tax and have a bill.

Now I do accept that secondary tax can be unfair if you have a student loan. They take 12% of your second income. But if between your 2 jobs you earn less than the repayment threshold it is not hard to get a special repayment rate.

I just don't get why they would want people to end up with bills instead of refunds. that is not helping people.

if I understand it correctly, secondary tax raises the rate at which your taxes are calculated for withholding on a 2nd income. But, from the sounds of it, people think it is actually an extra tax- that is, that people think the extra doesn't get refunded.

Comment

Working...
    X