Yay it's over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yay it's over

Thankfully the NZ election is over and I only lost one friend over it.

This has been the dirtiest election I remember. Just google Kim Dot Com for more information on that.

I give it one week before the facebook status go back to normal and people stop pretending they understand politics and economics.

And to top it off the results are what I wanted. Not that I can say that to anyone - it's not worth the drama. I love discussing policies and stuff with people but this year all I have seen are insults and unsupported vague statments.

I prefer to discuss politics mainly online among strangers. Far easier, on both sides, not to let that kind of disagreement taint what you think of each other as people that way.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

We got about 6 more weeks here in the states. The ads are as awful as the robocalls are annoying.

Comment

New Brunswick's elections just ended last Monday. After always having 2+ term premiers, we have had our second 1 term Premier in a row as we ousted the PC Premier to bring in the new Liberal Premier.

Our campaign for the most part seemed pretty calm. Fracking was one of the main issues, but nothing seemed to really become a Big Issue from what I saw.

The notable results of this election?

* Second 1 term premier in a row.
        * First Provincial election to use Electronic Scan-a-tron voting.
        * According to the media, the Electronic voting was a 'fiasco' because after Electons NB noted some discrepencies, they stopped the reporting for a couple hours to make sure everything was right; the results were still gathered, the bug/glitch was discovered and they still believe things were right, but the Losing parties and Media are still calling it a fiasco. (IMO it went off surprisingly well for a first time, and actual voting was very smooth).
        * The NDP did NOT get a single seat.
        * The Green party DID get a seat; first time Green got a seat in the province, and only the second Green MLA in Canada ever. (And 3rd or 4th elected Green politician ever I believe)

And as usual, the standard "We need to reform the election process" stories. (I agree it needs to be done, but nothing ever is done. *sigh* )

Anyways, like the OP with the NZ election, I'm glad it's over. At least I don't have enough NB friends on FB that politics didn't come up much if at all. (Now the Canadian Fed election next year, that's going to be 'fun', esp since my dad's side of the family, whom we do get along with and have the most FB links with, are very blue in general, but my immediate family and myself are very red. )

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
          We got about 6 more weeks here in the states. The ads are as awful as the robocalls are annoying.
          So far, it hasn't been too bad. Sure, the signs are up everywhere, but I haven't received any calls at home. Not like the *last* election, when some candidates were calling multiple times every night. Annoying as hell, mostly because I'm an "R" and most of the calls were from "D" candidates.

Why would they do that, you ask? Well, my county consists of the city of Pittsburgh...which mostly leans towards the "D" people. Naturally, they assumed that because I live in the county (well outside of the city though), that I would vote that way

After multiple calls--both recorded and real people, I'd had enough. I simply told the caller that unless they quit calling me, not only would I *not* vote for their candidates, but I'd carry the phone into the garage, and give them an earful of England's finest

Oddly enough, the calls stopped after that

Comment

Been very quiet this year for me. Other than the sample ballot I received in the mail, that's been it. I haven't heard any ads on TV or the radio. No one has come to my door. No robocalls.
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

One benefit of not having cable tv - no tv ads for me. All I get are radio ads, and they have been not obnoxious so far. Now when I was in Iowa back in late July, oh, boy, the radio ads were obnoxious. Hell, the ads when I was in Wisconsin last weekend weren't even that obnoxious.

I will also be glad when this election is done, and hopefully a friend I've known for 20+ years gets elected to the State House. Too bad I can't vote for him, since I don't live in his district.

Comment

Working...
              X