Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the difference between "common" and "general"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the difference between "common" and "general"?

Ok, the Preamble is part of the Constitution of the United States. The preamble itself is not law, but briefly summarizes the intent of the Constitution.

The preamble mentions "common defense", and "general welfare".

So I'm wondering what those two terms mean (or what their original intent was) regarding the Constitution itself.

It would seem that "common" is more broad than "general".

But what do I know?

"Common defense" means defending all of the country: an invasion of New York would be an invasion of the nation as a whole, and Georgia wouldn't get to say "what do we care" and keep its soldiers/money/supplies home.

"General" is, well, non-specific: "general welfare" is a sort of catchall category.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

"Common defense" is referencing a defense that we would all have "in common." It applies to everybody regardless of status. Everybody in the US is required to be afforded a "common" education, for example.

"General welfare" is more nebulous. Basically, it applies to the aggregate, but not necessarily to every member of the aggregate. So, you could increase the "general welfare" while at the same time decreasing the "specific welfare" of some of those same people.
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Exactly: For example.

If the US is attacked, we will go to war with the enemy. This is in the common defense. Every American, from the President to Charles Manson, is being defended.

However, if a serial killer is on the loose, we may lock him up. This promotes the general welfare, making things better for everyone, but does not help the serial killer, who'd probably like to keep doing that.
        "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
        ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Working...
        X