Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this State Senator have the right idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this State Senator have the right idea?

St. Joseph, Missouri Senator Rob Schaaf introduced the "Missouri Anti-Corruption Act".

http://www.stjosephpost.com/2015/02/...uption-reform/

I think he's on the right track. I'd LOVE to see more states do this, and I'd love to see it done at the Federal level, too...

In fact, I think I'm going to forward this to my state senator, and see if they will do something similar.
    Last edited by mjr; 02-04-2015, 11:25 AM.

It's not the first time such a bill has been tabled on the state or federal level. It never passes of course because the ones who would be hurt by this are at such a severe level it's a damn near unanimous vote opposing it.

Comment

I think the real way to pass something like that is to incorporate it into a bill that would otherwise pass. Make it part of a bill that has a very high chance of passing, then they're faced with a choice.

Comment

Originally posted by mjr View Post
        I think the real way to pass something like that is to incorporate it into a bill that would otherwise pass. Make it part of a bill that has a very high chance of passing, then they're faced with a choice.
        You would think that. But on the other hand the US has politicians willing to shut down the entire government and threaten the global economy just to throw a temper tantrum. >.>

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
          You would think that.
          I'm not sure how I should read that...

But on the other hand the US has politicians willing to shut down the entire government and threaten the global economy just to throw a temper tantrum. >.>
          Yep. And as I've said previously, Congress is only out for their own interests, despite what comes out of their mouths. Their interest: get re-elected.

Comment

Sorry, subtract the "you". I didn't mean like YOU you specifically. Just in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
              Sorry, subtract the "you". I didn't mean like YOU you specifically. Just in general.
              Gotcha.

But you're right. It would literally have to be incorporated into a bill that everyone would be in favor of otherwise. And even then, I could see Congress voting "No" based on that one thing, and killing the entire bill. It couldn't be an Amendment to the bill, because my understanding is that Amendments to the bills are voted on separately.

I know several comedians have said it jokingly, but I've heard it said that Congress should have to do like NASCAR drivers, and have to wear suits with their sponsors on them.

That way we know...

Comment

Working...
              X