Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAAAHHH YES Kansas does it again

Kansas Gov. rescinds previous Governors order protecting gay state workers
    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

I'm only surprised it took him this long.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

It astounds me that people are able to hold that much hate in them.

Comment

Well, Alabama was hogging all the attention lately. They had to do something.

Comment

I'm getting tired of these bible-thumpers who live under the misconception that the U.S. is a theocracy.
          --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
            I'm getting tired of these bible-thumpers who live under the misconception that the U.S. is a theocracy.
            Considering how many blue laws a lot of the states and towns have based on one single religion, it pretty much is a theocracy.
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

The blue laws will be repealed once everyone realizes how much tax revenue they are losing. It's happened in a state or two already.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                Considering how many blue laws a lot of the states and towns have based on one single religion, it pretty much is a theocracy.
                to be fair, blue laws were introduced when it actually was the prevailing culture to obey said restrictions- as such, they aren't actually a breach of the separation of church and state.

and actually, there IS a good reason for one particular part of the Blue Laws; it probably SHOULD be a law that you have to have at least one day off work a week. ( this is not due to religious arguments- and the day off doesn't have to be the same day for everybody- but on the grounds that people work better if they aren't forced to work all week)

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
                  and actually, there IS a good reason for one particular part of the Blue Laws; it probably SHOULD be a law that you have to have at least one day off work a week. ( this is not due to religious arguments- and the day off doesn't have to be the same day for everybody- but on the grounds that people work better if they aren't forced to work all week)
                  No. There isn't a good reason for blue laws.

All laws that are actually sensible for society are perfectly fine as completely secular laws. The day off work? Already duplicated by proper worker protection laws. The blue law designates the day, the times, and the religious reasons, and that's why it needs to be struck from the books.
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

reread what I said and it basically said the same thing. The Blue laws themselves? need to go. but certain effects of the blue laws ( workers having a day off each week guaranteed being one of them) aren't a bad thing.

Comment

S_stabeler, I believe that a law of the form:

All businesses, except those in specific designated categories, may be open for a maximum of X hours per week, spread over a maximum of 6 days. Businesses within those categories shall give all employees one complete calendar day off duty per week including the hours of 10 PM to midnight the day before to 2 AM the day after.

would meet what you're looking for. FWIW, I feel that it would be a good idea as well.

Comment

yes and no. It's more along the lines of "All employees, except those covered by an exemption, can be employed for a maximum of 6 days per week"- it doesn't have to be the same day for everybody. ( the idea is to guarantee that an employee isn't expected to work 7 days a week)

there are obvious exceptions- off the top of my head, farmers (during harvest, you pretty much harvest the crops whenever they're dry enough & the weather is good enough- plus, if you keep animals, they still need taking care of.) and soldiers (while deployed to a warzone, anyway- with the obvious caveat that if there is an invasion, you can be called in on your day off.)

Comment

No, but laws like no selling alcohol on Sundays is ridiculous.
                          No selling discounted alcohol (a.k.a. happy hour) is ridiculous.
                          Car dealerships not being allowed to open on Sundays.
                          No horse racing on Sundays.
                          Hunting now allowed on Sundays.
                          Retail employees working Sundays must get time and a half.

It's absurd how many laws are based purely along one religion in 2015.
                          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I don't think we have those laws here in Wisconsin or if it's anything related to my work, but if it wasn't for having to have one day off per week now (instead of every other), we'd have people clogging up the Emergency Rooms by now, with all the overtime we've had going on for the past few months.

Yeah, that was a titch dramatic, but I'm being kinda serious....most of us look like absolute shit dried over by now.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                              I don't think we have those laws here in Wisconsin
                              Car dealerships can't open on Sundays in Wisconsin.

Comment

Working...
                              X