New source suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New source suggestions

I need suggestions on news sources, preferably tv type ones but online would work too. My 2nd mom and I have been getting into a lot of political debates lately, partly because she gets most of her news from Fox News. I'm trying to help her find a better news source (and she's open and willing to give something else a shot) but I need suggestions. This that would balance out Fox would be fine but I'd prefer stuff that tend to stay fairly balanced themselves as much as possible.

You'll get better coverage of American politics from none American sources to be bluntly honest. CBC, BBC, Al-Jazeera, etc. I mean, MSNBC are sensationalizing idjits, CNN is more balanced but is likewise incompetent and seemingly obsessed with props more than news. NBC I suppose is half decent.

Al-Jazeera America is particularly good at doing actual journalism. But because of that no one watches them. -.-

Comment

For political I like to go to FiveThirtyEight and PolitiFact. The former is a more traditional news source, while the latter, in checking the factuality of statements, ends up with some reporting on those statements.

When I'm looking for general news, I tend to just hit up Reuters.
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

For TV news I'd try CBS and BBC America. For newspapers I'd go with the Washington Post or New York Times and the Wall Street Journal.

The WSJ is pretty conservative in its point of view, but does excellent journalism. If she wants a conservative voice, it is far superior to Faux News.

Avoid MSNBC. They are the Fox of the liberal world. If the Post or Times are too ponderous to read, try USA Today. Well balanced, easy read. I particularly like their editorials. The editors write Our View on a topic, but invite someone from the other view to write Their View to counterbalance the argument.
        Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
          Avoid MSNBC. They are the Fox of the liberal world.
          They wish. Even that's giving them too much credit. At least Fox is organized evil. MSNBC just sort of yells whatever they think will make them the most money.

Maddow's about the only one on there worth listening too.

Comment

Thanks everyone! That should be awesomely helpful and I'm very excited about the idea of getting her off Fox News.

Comment

Honestly the daily show regularly goes over fox news and their hypocracy consider that.

Comment

Working...
              X