Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we stop saying Ahmed Mohammed "made a clock"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, can I point out that the actual point is that crap like happened to Ahmed Mohammed is a problem since he could well have been a home-grown engineer, rather than trained abroad. I disagree that using foreign-trained engineers is necessarily a problem- if they are more skilled than domestic engineers, then the job should go to the more skilled engineer- but to US citizens that could be trained as engineers get discouraged is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by mjr View Post
      that visa can get renewed yearly, however.
      Yes, it can, though only 160-200,000 get carried over annually.

Originally posted by mjr View Post
      I'm here to tell you: There is no shortage.
      Erm, you're here to tell me what I was just telling you?

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
      I disagree that using foreign-trained engineers is necessarily a problem- if they are more skilled than domestic engineers, then the job should go to the more skilled engineer- but to US citizens that could be trained as engineers get discouraged is ridiculous.
      Its not a problem in theory. In practice it, like many things with the US government, has been bent towards corporate profits. Its not a matter of skill ( though it should be. ). Often times domestic engineers are forced to literally train their foreign replacements if they want their severance package.

You eliminate your in house techs, contract their jobs out to an agency attached to a foreign company who provides H1B workers at cheaper rates, then as a final fuck you; Make the employees you're eliminating train the incoming H1B workers to do your job.

And viola. You're contracting the workers so you're no longer directly responsible for pesky things like health care, employee benefits, proper wages, etc. If you're really "lucky" you can eliminate the in house operation all together. No need for overhead, work space, etc.

Then if you don't need the foreign workers anymore, no problem! They're staying in the US is contingent on being sponsored by an employer. If they don't find another job and sponsor they get shipped back to their home country. Taking that training with them. On the other end, the outsourcing company back in the home country gets skilled foreign trained workers coming back from the US. Which it can then use to offer more outsourcing internationally at cheaper labour costs.

Everyone benefits at a corporate level. Not so much below that.
      Last edited by Gravekeeper; 10-27-2015, 03:23 PM.

Comment

See, this is why I read these boards. I learn all kinds of things.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
          if they are more skilled than domestic engineers
          In a lot of cases, they aren't. Google around on the net. You'll find numerous examples of "domestic" engineers having to fix the software that was "outsourced" or used H1B talent.

Comment

Oh, I agree it's not good when the immigrant worker isn't as good as the domestic worker- on the other hand, it's arguable that the actual problem- except on the macro scale- is that the job is going to someone who isn't actually the best person for the job, just because they are cheaper. ( by the macro scale, I mean it is an issue for the government if the situation is causing a brain drain)

Comment

Working...
            X