Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there really a "best" in music nowadays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there really a "best" in music nowadays?

Just kind curious on your thoughts. I tend to watch music videos online here and there. And every once and a while you'll run into say a Top 10 best drummers video. And like for me I like speed metal most of the time. And there's some really good people in that line, as well as others. I mean like for instance the band Devildriver is really good for fast drums and insane double bass. The guy is good at what he does, but on the other hand I mean there's songs that the drums are slower but it's hitting a boat load of drums, or then you've got drummers like Lars from Metallica that back in the older songs it would go fast, slow, fast, slow, fast. Kinda the same with guitar I mean you've got bands like Dragonforce who hit a huge amount of notes real fast. And then you've got people like Hendrix, van halen, etc.

Actually, I do believe that music can be judged somewhat objectively, but you have to be careful to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. One speed metal band can be judged against other speed metal bands, but not against a classical orchestra.

But I think that one's ability with a particular musical instrument can be judged across all genres. If you doubt it, ask a guitarist who has never played the blues before if Robert Johnson is any good. Or ask one who's never played bluegrass what they think of Chet Atkins. Anyone who has dedicated themselves to learning an instrument is going to fully understand the skill that a piece requires.

Often times the casual listener overrates an artist because they don't understand what is and is not difficult to play.

Comment

Anyone who doesn't use a frickin auto-tune is way ahead now days in my opinion.
      I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
      Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

I think over the years I've been weaning myself off of claiming "best" for music or movies. My tastes vary, and I share my taste in music and movies with very few people. What I think is awesome someone else thinks is rubbish.

When it comes to dirtbike gear and parts there's a more objective mindset, but it doesn't relate to music at all!

Comment

There isn't really a best anymore as everything is blended so much nowadays.

One day I listened to a local country station in my truck on the way home from work. I heard the following songs:

"The Climb" - Miley Cyrus
          "Love Story" - Taylor Swift
          "You Belong With Me" - Taylor Swift
          "When He Cheats" - Carrie Underwood

I got in my wife's car, in which the radio was set to a local CHR station, and I heard the same four songs.

Also, who is one of the newest country singers? Darius Rucker...the former Hootie and the Blowfish lead singer.

Shania Twain, Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, Billy Ray Cyrus, LeeAnn Rimes. Trisha Yearwood, Carrie Underwood and Kellie Pickler have all had the same song on multiple US charts at the same time. Sorry, pick a damn genre and stay in it. Or, release something different in each genre instead of changing the beat of one song and call it the "Pop version" or "Rock Version".

Comment

To answer the question: Yes, it's whatever music I like.

And I think Boozy is right in that music can be judged somewhat objectively. But at the end of the day, we're going to give our preference to the genre that we enjoy the most.
            Crooked banks around the world would gladly give a loan today so if you ever miss a payment they can take your home away.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
              Actually, I do believe that music can be judged somewhat objectively, but you have to be careful to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. One speed metal band can be judged against other speed metal bands, but not against a classical orchestra.
              O' course, metal and chamber music were found to be very similar.

Out of curiosity, why is that?
              "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
              ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
                I can prove this incorrect!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Psfn6iOfS8

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
                  Out of curiosity, why is that?
                  Because you don't need talent with auto-tune, a babys cries sound musical put through an auto-tune.
                  I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                  Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

CHR and the Billboard Hot 100 is actually *supposed* to be cross-genre. It's supposed to be agnostic of genre in order to showcase THE most popular stuff, period. It's just that over the decades, it's been trying to morph into a genre all its own.

Comment

Because you don't need talent with auto-tune, a babys cries sound musical put through an auto-tune.

I'd think there's more to it than just being on key though, isn't there? I'm sure people can find plenty of ways to be musical despite that. Might even find ways to use it creatively.
                      "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                      ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Except that would require experimentation, and multiple passes. You know why they use auto-tune in the professional industry, when everyone should be talented enough to actually sing it properly? To save on recording studio time. They sing it once, maybe twice, then "fix it in post." And so the person recording doesn't get to improve or experiment, and just stagnates.
                        Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

To prove: the 8 o'clock news, via auto-tune!

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1920873
                          Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

Originally posted by BroomJockey View Post
                            To prove: the 8 o'clock news, via auto-tune!

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1920873
                            *spits out from the first mention of the FCTP* damn everything IS better with Auto-Tune. *smirks*

of course it's just the newest thing... not like musicians haven't been doing it for albums for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                              Often times the casual listener overrates an artist because they don't understand what is and is not difficult to play.
                              I know you're talking about speed metal (not my kinda music but thats neither here nor there). MUSIC itself is'nt about difficulty to play or not.

It's 100% subjective because it's all about emotion and the way certain songs affect YOU specifically.

also (this is just a fun lil bit of music trivia) genearlly throughout history the most 'popular' songs were always the simple ones.

Elvis, basic instrumental stuff,
                              the beatles - nothing too technically difficult there.

technical difficulty doesn't = great music (nor does mindless simplicity) it's all about what an individual thinks.

I personally LOVE nirvana and think cobain was amazing. I've got those who agree with me and those who dont'.

and yes im a stubborn ass and will argue my point of view till i'm hoarse lol but doesn't mean someone who sees hmm say... jimi hendrix as the 'god' of music is wrong in THEIR view either.

Comment

Working...
                              X