More trouble for Mel Gibson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More trouble for Mel Gibson

Dropped by his agency due to more recent anti-Semitic remarks (they apparently only kept him because of his longtime friendship with his agent, who recently died), and also an expletive and epithet-filled call to his ex-girlfriend has surfaced

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/risk...el-gibson.html

(Warning the recording is *definitely* NSFW!)

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusive...listen-it-here
    Last edited by Caveat Emptor; 07-10-2010, 10:14 AM.

That man has lost his freakin mind.

I used to really like him as an actor. He always seemed like a really nice guy.

Now I'm wondering if he was always this much of a dick, but hid it well.
    Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

Originally posted by Ree View Post
      Now I'm wondering if he was always this much of a dick, but hid it well.
      [Teamamerica]That's why they call it acting[/quote]

Sorry, just seemed so appropriate

Rapscallion
      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I wonder too, Ree. It was very sudden a few years back that he just outbursted all those nasty words, and now he's just going further and further downhill.

I don't think he could have held it in or hid it for that long. He had been famous for years before the first incident. It's hard to hold everything inside for a long time.

Comment

The sadder thing?
          He's still going to have a very good career despite everything he's said.
          Why?
          He has a crap load of money, an extensive resume of highly successful films, a lot of friends, people who want to work with him in hollywood, and an extensive fan base.

Even minority actors have been quoted as saying they'd still want to work with him in a film (on TMZ and other entertainment shows). Can you imagine the publicity they'd get?

That, and there is the possibility that it was an unfortunate choice of words by him in a fit of rage. I can't think of anyone who hasn't regretted something they've said while angry (or drunk). Not that I'm condoning it mind you, just pointing out the possibility.
          "Having a Christian threaten me with hell is like having a hippy threaten to punch me in my aura."
          Josh Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
            That, and there is the possibility that it was an unfortunate choice of words by him in a fit of rage. I can't think of anyone who hasn't regretted something they've said while angry (or drunk). Not that I'm condoning it mind you, just pointing out the possibility.
            I would give you that point if it was an isolated thing, but this happens repeatedly.
            Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

Just wondering if there's some sort of early-onset dementia going on? Older people tend to be less tolerant, I've noticed, though that's possibly because they were brought up in older and less tolerant times.

Rapscallion
              Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
              Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

He's also admitted to being an alcoholic, and that can certainly melt your brain. And it already has affected his career. When was Mel Gibson's last hit? Signs? That was quite a while ago. Too bad, really, since I do like him as an actor.

Comment

According to ABC News, that recording was only one of several rants to his ex-gf, and she will be releasing more soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ree View Post
                    I would give you that point if it was an isolated thing, but this happens repeatedly.
                    How many times has it happened?
                    I can only remember 2 (drunken jewish slurs, and angry remarks about african-american people and rape). Both are horrible by themselves.
                    But then again, I don't pay too much attention to Mel. Last movie I saw of his was The Patriot. Now Mel's too much like Tom Cruise in the level of crazy.

Though I do love it, when Mel does well Australia brags about how he's theirs, when he does this sort of crap, he's completely American.
                    "Having a Christian threaten me with hell is like having a hippy threaten to punch me in my aura."
                    Josh Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                      When was Mel Gibson's last hit? Signs? That was quite a while ago.
                      As an actor, but he's been directing and producing. Apocalypto should have gotten him a Best Director's nod at the Oscars, except for the fact that he's such a racist dick.

Personally, I believe he's always been a racist, and his recent alcohol problems have brought it out of him.

Comment

i found a video that plays one of the rants - the one where he says "don't fucking hang up on me"

I'm of the opinion that both of them have issues.
                        why?

Keep in mind she knew this was being recorded, which means she was very careful about what she said. This could have a twofold effect... first to make herself look innocent, and second... possibly to egg him on, since she's not reacting to him really

So we have no real recording of how she normally talks to him on the phone when there's not a potential audience.

Plus... if you're in a relationship and you're recording conversations for the purpose of selling them... that doesn't really speak highly of your character.

that being said i don't think mel's innocent either. obviously he has issues with rage language, and self control. it's good he's in therapy, but in order for it to be effective i think he really needs to take a long look at how he acts, and understand that ... sometimes it's better to just close your mouth and stew in silence until you can calm down.

and if you're hitting people out of anger a time out is required. jail time didn't kill Robert Downey Jr's career, in fact I think it kinda helped it.

Comment

Originally posted by PepperElf View Post
                          I'm of the opinion that both of them have issues.
                          why?

Keep in mind she knew this was being recorded, which means she was very careful about what she said. This could have a twofold effect... first to make herself look innocent, and second... possibly to egg him on, since she's not reacting to him really

So we have no real recording of how she normally talks to him on the phone when there's not a potential audience.

Plus... if you're in a relationship and you're recording conversations for the purpose of selling them... that doesn't really speak highly of your character.
                          Amen!!

I don't condone his behaviour at all, but the fact that the recordings became public seems to me that she saw a chance to make a buck by selling them.

Who the heck records their partner like that?

Now, if she decided to gather evidence to use in court because this was a regular thing with him, and verbal abuse was just second nature with him, that would be one thing, but from what I see, she recorded him with the intent of selling it and embarrassing him.

The fact that she was aware of the recording makes anything she said or even the way she behaved extremely suspect in my book.
                          Point to Ponder:

Comment

Personally I'm sick of the whole thing. If someone hits you hard enough to knock your teeth out, and while you're holding a child to boot, you go to the POLICE. You do not call the person and rant on like a drama-hungry middle school queen and sell the recording to some celebrity gossip site.

Not that I'm saying Mel is innocent or anything, but it seems to be nothing more than a huge publicity stunt.
                            A.K.A. ShinyGreenApple

Comment

Originally posted by LadyBarbossa View Post
                              Personally I'm sick of the whole thing. If someone hits you hard enough to knock your teeth out, and while you're holding a child to boot, you go to the POLICE. You do not call the person and rant on like a drama-hungry middle school queen and sell the recording to some celebrity gossip site.

Not that I'm saying Mel is innocent or anything, but it seems to be nothing more than a huge publicity stunt.
                              LB - if memory serves, you're an Aussie, right? How are you guys viewing all of this drama?

Comment

Working...
                              X