Could someone help me make a survey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, first of all, I was joking.

Second, I don't know if kids reading is such a good thing if it's achieved by handing them some of the worst literature out there. I swear those books read like bad fanfic.

I don't like the characters because they're two dimensional and undefined. I don't like the setting because it has no depth. I dislike the lore because it has no creativity. I dislike the writing style because it's awkward. I dislike it's message because it's stupid. I dislike it's 'originality' because it attempts to cash in on something entirely unoriginal, thus marring it almost beyond repair, but again because it too lacks creativity. The whole series is it's own fangirl and the result is everything but pretty.

Now, all these dislikes are things that are a personal opinion of mine. What constitutes 'good' when it comes to literature is different from person to person and that's fine. Except, and perhaps especially when this frame of reference lacks all those things that involve effort, talent or skill on the part of the writer and not just an endless repetition of self-indulgence. But hey, people are allowed to like crap. In certain things, I do too. Crap can be fun, campy campy fun and that's all good and well. But none of that makes it a good book or movie.

And yeah, I'm harsh on Twilight because it offends my sensibilities so. Admittedly more so given the frothing-at-the-mouth idiocy of 90% of it's fans or at least those I've been exposed to. It may not be empirical data, but what use is the silent majority if the vocal majority is that bad?

So go ahead, read Twilight, watch one of the movies. There's real reasons to like it chief among which stands as direct counterpoint to my dislikes in that the main character is infinitely relateable due to her lack of any definition whatsoever.

Besides, if this is harsh you should hear me rave about my personal shortcomings. Those must be downright tortuous if this constitutes harsh. At the end of the day, though, I like to think I'm and equal-opportunity hater, but sooner or later something comes along that is both popular and despicable, at least to people like me. Twilight is this decade's Napolean Dynamite, another movie that sucked to the millionth degree and yet was held aloft as genius by every person in my school. Sometimes it's not worth chewing through the restraints. I've ranted too much, peace out, auf wiedersehen.

EDIT: Oh and a bit more OT, the best way to make a survey would probably just be to break down by component and give the usual five degrees of hate through like that everything else uses.
    Last edited by Wingates_Hellsing; 07-15-2010, 09:00 AM.
    All units: IRENE
    HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

Here are an example of a survey on the crapfest:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8172327AAPEwDP
      "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

People play with the vampire myths all the time and don't get hassled. Dracula appears in a daytime scene in the original book so in a way the Twilight vampires are more accurate to the original story then many others

Comment

Originally posted by Red Panda View Post
          People play with the vampire myths all the time and don't get hassled. Dracula appears in a daytime scene in the original book so in a way the Twilight vampires are more accurate to the original story then many others
          Huh? Dracula was not the origin of Vampires.
          I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
          Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
            Huh? Dracula was not the origin of Vampires.
            Oh really and who was?
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

You mean like John Polidori's The Vampyre? with the whole charming and suave type? Or the first recorded uses of the word, which in English was in the early 1700's, in Russian it was somewhere around 1000 AD.

Instead of relying on my fuzzy memory at 2:30am how about perusing this?
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire

Comment

Technically Vlad was the first vampire.

But there were a few vampire books out before Dracula. Dracula just the most famous one.

Matter of fact, that most famous scene in movie Dracula? The one where he sneaks into her house and is slowly moving up to her? Stolen from another vampire book made before that.

Hell, there was a lesbian vampire made two decades BEFORE 1897's Dracula.
                Toilet Paper has been "bath tissue" for the longest time, and it really chaps my ass - Blas
                I AM THE MAN of the house! I wear the pants!!! But uh...my wife buys the pants so....yeah.

Comment

You mean Camilla?

Comment

As for the concept of a vampire, it'd be hard to say when it started... But I'd say its pretty damn safe to say that Drac wasn't the first.
                    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

You could say that the old mythos was when it started, pretty much. Stories told by word of mouth still count as stories told about vampires.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Vlad the Impaler more well known for his sick ways of execution instead of being a "vampire"?

I like Twilight. Throw whatever you want at me. I think Robert Pattinson is gorgeous, and not in that stupid tweeny girl way. I think he's sexy. A little thin and pasty, but terrific bone structure and great eyes. Even young Taylor Lautner is sexy with that big buff body. Mm yum.

Is the concept retarded? Sure, even to a degree I think it's kind of corny. I've never read the books, I can't say if they are good or not. Reading isn't my thing. But I like it anyway.

Comment

Lautner is kinda hunky, and Pattinson could be if he'd wash his damn hair and do something with his eyebrows.

Comment

*cough*Shark Boy*cough*

XD

Seriously, look it up; Lautner played Shark Boy in this crappy kid movie "Shark Boy and Lava Girl". Oh the useless trivia that I know.

Comment

I like R Pattinson's hair, actually. I'm not a fan of very short hair on guys. I don't like long or extremely shaggy hair by any means, but I need a good inch and a half of more to pull on. When my bf gets his hair cut so short it's almost cop or military style, I don't like it.

He complains of it being hot and hating being hairy. I want to smack him. Has he ever had hair going down his back before in the middle of summer? Of course not.

Back on topic....so when is the 4th movie?

Comment

Who cares? Toy Story 3 is out, go and watch that. XD

I read an article once that Pattinson didn't wash his hair. Ew. X_x I couldn't stand someone who skimped on basic hygiene. In any case, I think he was a lot better as Cedric in GoF; less up his own arse than he acts as Edward the Meyerpire.

Comment

Working...
                                X