New Jersey, New Jersey, New Jersey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Jersey, New Jersey, New Jersey

What the hell is up with all these "New Jersey" shows?

"The Jersey Shore" - guess what? These arrogant and ignorant delinquents don't even live in New Jersey! They're from Staten Island. They're the type who go down to Wildwood for the weekend and annoy the hell out of real NJ people.

Now we have "The Real Housewives of New Jersey". I've seen previews and guess what? They're nothing like anyone I ever knew when I lived in New Jersey. Sure, they might fit the urban NJ stereotype (like north-eastern New Jersey) but that's it.

These shows IMO are a real slap in the face to anyone who is from NJ or lived there for any time. I spent over a year in Highlands, NJ (no, not "Atlantic Highlands", Highlands) and 2 years in Brick TWP (Herbertsville to be exact) NJ.

The sad thing is that people eat these up and think all of NJ is like this. Yeah, head down to where I lived - no one is like that.

It's cause New Jersey is freaking awesome!

But yea, it saddens me to find out people somehow actually believe that New Jersey is no different from those shows. Only one person from Jersey Shore is from Jersey and she is not from the Jersey Shore. I am from the Jersey Shore and no one acts like that. They only get made fun of if they show up. My friend from Ireland says they watch it there and almost everyone thinks that's what New Jersey is like. Very upsetting.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I've been to the Jersey Shore many times...and it's *not* like the show. I don't know about Wildwood, but Cape May and Cape May Point are mainly "family friendly" areas. Sure, there are bars, but there aren't any clubs as depicted in the shows. Also, you don't hear of many loud parties either--that's a sure way to get the cops to show up, and/or someone getting tossed out of their rental unit.

Comment

These things piss me off to no end! I may not love Jersey like some people do, but damnit, I'm born and raised in Trenton. I grew up going to the shore (usually Ship Bottom or Seaside) and continue to go there every summer. The people on the show are what we call guidos (horribly orange tanned, ignorant, douchebag Italians) and since they are mostly from NY we also can call them Bennies (people who live near Bayonne/NYC that act like true tourists when at the shore).

Jersey is not like the Sopranos, it's not like Jersey Shore, it's not like Real Housewives. It annoys me so much to think that my home state is getting this kind of reputation. Isn't it enough that we are always the butt of so many jokes? Grr.

Anyway, I'm now off to lovely Island Beach State Park, about a mile and a half down the road from Seaside Park and the boardwalk made infamous by MTV. I go to the state park because it's cheaper and cleaner. Not as much nasty hair gel and body oil lol.

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
          I've been to the Jersey Shore many times...and it's *not* like the show. I don't know about Wildwood, but Cape May and Cape May Point are mainly "family friendly" areas. Sure, there are bars, but there aren't any clubs as depicted in the shows. Also, you don't hear of many loud parties either--that's a sure way to get the cops to show up, and/or someone getting tossed out of their rental unit.
          They were in areas like Seaside. There are plenty of bars/clubs like that in that area. Belmar area, which is near me, is another hot spot for that show. Plenty of bars and bar-like clubs.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Being from Arkansas, I can completely sympathize, draggar. People get it in their head that one part of the state is a certain way, so all of the state must be that way.

Comment

My bf has taken to the notion that Jersey has to be the best place on earth because his sister lives there and likes it better because things are better, more expensive, people tend to take better care of themselves and look better.

I try to tell him that I doubt anyone here would tolerate that Jersey Shore attitude for one second, at least in my neck of the woods. You think Snookie got punched really good? Well, acting that way around here would get you put in the hospital, probably intensive care, if you acted like such an idiot and went around running your mouth and causing drama.

Comment

Snookie definitely had it coming. I don't condone hitting women like that, but she was going to get hit some time. Just didn't think it would be a guy doing it.

Comment

I'm not even a violent person, but I can't even look at those douchebags/baggettes without wanting to punch them, rip their fake hair out, and smack those smirks right off their faces.

How can anyone think those people are cool?

Comment

Here's hoping the Clerks cartoon series makes a comeback.
                    "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

I was actually going to say that when I think of New Jersey I don't think of anything fancy or high class, but rather Clerks and Bruce Springsteen songs.

Comment

Having lived 99% of my life in NJ I can say without a doubt that those shows annoy the heck out of me. Not only don't they represent the entire state, they don't even do a good job in showing the areas that they focus on.

I actually live right by where they film Real Housewives and the strip club they used for The Sopranos is only 2 blocks from my Grandmother's house. First off, we are NOT all Italian, damn it! Even if you are dumb enough to ignore the sizable population of Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, etc... Even the Caucasians are not all (or mostly) Italian. Why is every show focused on NJ solely about Italians? Why?!?!?

You know, I thought I had more, but really, it all boils down to the horrible representation of this state. I am one of the "I love NJ" types, but if all I saw were those shows I'd probably have pretty bad opinion of the state as well.

Comment

Um, the majority of whites in New Jersey ARE Italian. Nearly every person I've met in the 22 years I've lived here is Italian. Then there's a couple Irish here and there.

I just started watching the Jersey Shore. I love it. Can't stop watching...so I can make fun of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                            I just started watching the Jersey Shore. I love it. Can't stop watching...so I can make fun of them.
                            That's why I sometimes watch it too. They're just so douchey that I *have* to make fun of them

Comment

I gotta disagree. I think the LARGE majority are mutts who claim one part of their heritage and ignore the rest. Having been born and raised in north-eastern NJ, home of the housewives and sopranos, I can easily say pretty much all my friends are mixes. There's Italian, Irish, Greek, German, Polish, Dutch, French, Scottish, Norwegian, Swedish, Czech, and I'm sure there are more that I'm missing. Oh and obviously for the sake of discussion I'm leaving out non-Europeans.

My best friend is totally stereotypical Italian-American. That's all she'll ever admit to being. Except, she's actually half-German. I can think of one friend who is purely of Italian descent and one who is purely of Irish descent. Since they just got married and are planning on children there goes that.

A couple of generations back it was different, but the current makeup of NJ is not what it used to be.

Heck, ask my mom and she'll say we're Italian. Errr, nope. My dad immigrated here from Australia and his family was from Austria previous to that. On my mom's side the family is all from Germany or Poland except for my Great-Grandmother, she was legitimately Italian.

This area also has a HUGE Jewish population (of which I am part of) and I promise almost none of them are from Italy. The whole NJ is Italian is just not true. There are pockets that are mostly Italian in a town here and there but there are also Polish towns and German towns. Hmmm, no Irish towns that I'm aware of though.

Comment

Working...
                              X