Pearl Jam's cover of Love, Reign O'er Me
    Johnny Cash's cover of I Hung My Head
    Joe Cocker's cover of With A Little Help From My Friends
    Metallica's cover of Whiskey In The Jar
    Van Halen's cover of Dancing In The Street

Comment

Originally posted by derangedperson View Post
      Van Halen's cover of Dancing In The Street
      Don't forget Jagger's and Bowie's cover!
      "You are a true believer. Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine. Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses. Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
      -- OMM 0000

Comment

Originally posted by Ipecac Drano View Post
        Don't forget Jagger's and Bowie's cover!
        I can't. That fucking video...

Comment

On another forum I am a member of..we had a 'game' about music (top 10 <fill in the blank>) where the winner of the last round got to decide what the theme was for the next round. There was a top ten cover songs..some of them I never dreamed were cover songs. My list

Once bitten twice shy - White Snake - . (Originally by Ian Hunter)
          Cum on feel the noise - Quiet Riot (Originally by Slade)
          It's my life - No Doubt (Originally by Talk Talk)
          Mony Mony - Billy Idol (Originally by Tommy James)
          Respect - Artha Franklin (Originally by Otis Redding)
          WAR - Bruce Springsteen (Temptations originally??)
          First Cut is the Deepest - Sheryl Crow (Original Cat Stevens?)
          I put a spell on you - Bette Miller (Original Screamin' Jay Hawkins?)
          I think we're alone now - Tiffany (original Tommy James and The Shondells)
          Hound Dog - Elvis Presley (Original Big Mama Thomton

Comment

Sarah Brightman did a nice version of "Dust in the Wind". I've liked most covers of Kansas's songs; but then, I haven't been much of a fan of the band.
            "You are a true believer. Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine. Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses. Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
            -- OMM 0000

Comment

I have to say, Van Canto's cover of Iron Maiden's Fear of the Dark. Brilliant version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyHcIHssdHA

Most people here have probably never heard of them; a relatively young, not very widely known band that does Metal a cappella. Sounds strange, but they're really good.
              "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
              "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
                Here are some of my favourite cover versions that I believe were better than the original. ^^

White Wedding - Murderdolls.

I love the original as well, but this one is just brilliant; hard to explain, if you've never heard it, but uses sneering lyrics and screechy guitars and the first time I heard it, it really appealed to me. Puts the song into another context completely. XD

Tainted Love - Marilyn Manson
                Sweet Dreams - Marilyn Manson

Manson has done a lot of covers over the years, but these two are my favourites. He always makes the song completely his own, and I always prefer Manson's version to the original. The guy's a genius.
                [B]
                Out of just his Covers, does it count when the song in question is so "covered up" (yes that was a pun) that most people get wrong, like say his cover of "I Put a Spell on You" which turns it from the usual lovey dovey niceness back to it's original singer is casting a hoodoo hex onto his/her object of obsession.

and i do believe it's elsewhere but HIM's covers of Wicked Game.

Comment

I'd say it counts. ^^ I love Manson's cover of I Put A Spell on you; there's a great Craft video with that as the soundtrack, and it really sets off the nastiness of the end of the movie.
                  "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

After reading through the thread, I've noticed that there's a couple that haven't been mentioned...

All Along the Watchtower was originally done by Bob Dylan, not Hendrix.

Black Magic Woman? Fleetwood Mac, not Santana.

Blinded By the Light, a Springsteen song popularized by Manfred Mann's Earth Band.

Comment

Originally posted by El Pollo Guerrera View Post
                      Blinded By the Light, a Springsteen song popularized by Manfred Mann's Earth Band.
                      Yeah, but while the Mann version is the one everybody knows, I actually think the original is a better rendition. It's certainly longer, and it makes more sense. A couple of bits that Mann changed for their version make it make even less sense.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Personally I prefer the Soft Cell cover of Gloria Jones song, but then I was never a fan of the Northern Soul stuff.

Diamonds and Rust The version I like the best by Blackmores Night
                        Last edited by Boozy; 03-09-2011, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bardmaiden View Post
                          Personally I prefer the Soft Cell cover of Gloria Jones song, but then I was never a fan of the Northern Soul stuff.
                          My preferred version of this song is by a punk rock band called Shades Apart.

Also, "Kiss Me" as done by New Found Glory
                          And "Molly's Lips" as done by Nirvana
                          Last edited by Boozy; 03-09-2011, 11:26 AM. Reason: quote tags

Comment

Working...
                          X