The Voice is an Instrument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Voice is an Instrument

I'm pulling this out of the Worst songs thread, because it's really a major divergence.

There are some amazing things that can be done with the human vocal chords and I've never really understood why some people are against any sort of singing that didn't involve the typical structure that involves actual words.

We mentioned scat and doo-wop and acapella.

Then there's beatboxing. When done poorly, it's complete shit, but when done well... It's some amazing stuff.

Like this guy: Roxorloops vid from 2008 I can understand not liking the style of music, but the guy's got some serious talent.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

And let's not forget throat singing. Just beautiful.

Comment

Similar to scat, there's lilting/diddling. As seen here, here (this one is the awesome-er of the two), and here as part of a song by the Dubliners.

Such an under-appreciated art form.

Comment

I'm moving my post about this from the other thread to here:

This is another example of using your voice for something other than words, in this case it was the whole band....this song is acapella but he layered his voice like 32 times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTMKDoXGoDU
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Considering the popularity of The Warblers on Glee, I wouldn't say that people are against acapella music.

Comment

People aren't necessarily *against* a capella, per se. It's not as popular as it used to be, though. Considering the awesome stuff that can be done with just vocals and no instruments, though, I have no idea.

Comment

I am really suprised no one has mentioned Bobby McFerrin. a little sappy (and to some annoying) but I believe that all of his "music" is via human voice.

when I used to ride the "L" in Chicago there was an imitator "musical group" that performed in one of the downtown stations I frequented.

Don't Worry, Be Happy
              I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
              The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Originally posted by firecat88 View Post
                People aren't necessarily *against* a capella, per se. It's not as popular as it used to be, though. Considering the awesome stuff that can be done with just vocals and no instruments, though, I have no idea.
                Wow. That's pretty brilliant. I love that they not only captured the music spot on, but that they totally nailed the video, too.

I wish a capella routines were more popular, 'cause I've always loved watching them.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Let's not forget beatbox

Especially since you can use it for just about anything.

For some reason a number of people I've spoken to seem to hate beatbox whilst simultaneously loving scat and the like. Since these are also people who seem to dislike anything modern in favor of anything 'retro' I'm content to write it off as nostalgic bias, then again, I'm far from an expert on the subject.
                  Last edited by Wingates_Hellsing; 03-25-2011, 02:59 AM.
                  All units: IRENE
                  HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

Man, that beatbox thing was awesome!

Check out Livin' On A Prayer. I love a Capella stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                      Man, that beatbox thing was awesome!

Check out Livin' On A Prayer. I love a Capella stuff.
                      Not a bad rendition...I like it.
                      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Working...
                      X