No announcement yet.

Well Done cover/tribute songs rare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I don't have a TV and even if I did I wouldn't watch Xfactor etc (iir she was on Britains got tallent) she was just thrust into the public concious that people living under rocks knew about.

I won't willingly seek out a Justin Bieber song either, but if either are on the radio and I hear it, well I wont know its them, to trick me into listening to it, play it, just don't tell me who it is, well radio does that most of the time anyway, it's not as if I would know instantly its her and run away screaming.

I only listen to the radio at work and its normally a dance station, so no SuBeiber there and at home I listen to 5+ year old songs, mostly 90's grunge and alternative.
    She is tarred with the TV factory brush and Bieber well just cos hes Bieber.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
      She is tarred with the TV factory brush and Bieber well just cos hes Bieber.
      I think this is as bad as automatically going with something just because it's currently popular.

I don't let other people make my decisions, and I don't base my decisions on what other people want me to do or not do.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I just don't get this. What rational reason does a person have for refusing to hear someone sing when they have no idea how good they may or may not be?
        Reasons don't have to be rational to be legitimate in areas like this. For instance, I *know* crab legs are delicious. But I don't eat them because they look like a giant spider. So the thoughts they bring to mind are unappetizing, to say the least. It's not rational, but it's as legitimate a reason to choose a different dinner as not liking the taste would be.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Food is not the same as music. There's a lot more to food than just the taste.

Music, however, is about the sound. There are no other senses that get involved.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
            Food is not the same as music. There's a lot more to food than just the taste.

Music, however, is about the sound. There are no other senses that get involved.

^-.-^
            Not the point at all. There *is* more to music than the sound... at least in the sense that there can be other associations. How about someone who doesn't enjoy Michael Jackson songs, not because of any inherent flaw in them, but because the song reminds them of the singer, which reminds them (whether fairly or not) of child molestation? Should they listen to anyway? Why?
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Music is tied into emotions and memories, at least for me. A lot of different songs remind me about different events in my life.
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I guess I'm just not that sentimental, then.

I like music for what the music brings to the table, not my own baggage.

^-.-^

Comment

Also, most people have an idea of what kind of music they despise so therefore won't want to listen to anyone new who sings that way.

For example; I detest bubblegum pop. Therefore, even before I listened to Bieber, I knew I wasn't going to like his singing; listening to his "song" simply confirmed that for me.

As for good covers; I listed a few in the main thread. Bad covers on the other hand; well, a group/band could put their own spin on a cover and the cover would still be bad cuz they've made it crap, instead of making it better. For example, Atomic Kitten's abysmal cover of "The Tide Is High". They tried to make it into a plastic girl group song, when it's not and never can be.
                  "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Some people can polish a turd and turn it into something way better than the original*, sadly they are few and far between when lined up against those that wipe their arses with the song sheet, it's the only way I can see the music going so bad, they can't read the score through the stains.

*I'm not saying every song I think is covered better is shite by the original artist, no these are shite songs pure and simple, but somehow taking away something or reinterpreting it makes it work.
                    Example the Dylanesque cover of Friday, although I didn't listen to it all the way through, it didn't want me to damage my ear drums any way near enough as the original (which I put the blame purely at the feet of Ark)

Comment

Working...
                    X